We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy for 4 days

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
6 posts
Save Topic
Italy for 4 days

I will be in Lake Garda for a business meeting from Saturday May 28 - June 1st. My friend is meeting me June 1st in Verona. We leave on Sunday June 5th and therefore have 4 days to sightsee. We definitely want to go to Venice for at least 1 day/night. Unsure weather to stay in Venice for longer and maybe take a day trip to Milan or just stay the 1 day/night and fly to Rome for 2 days?? Any suggestions...

Thanks.

Melbourne, Vic...
Level Contributor
611 posts
469 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy for 4 days

Verona itself is quite charming and Venice a must. Milan has many attractions but with a minimal amount of time available I would skip its delights when you could have a wider array of choices for things to do and see somewhere else. To me, Rome is the quintessential Italian city. With so little time available, Rome would be easy to enter and exit from and keep you well amused for two days.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,575 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy for 4 days

Four days is an incredibly short time to devote to Italy but if that is all you can manage then I would not want to waste time travelling.

Once you are in Verona, a pleasant little city you are 1 hour 20 minutes or so from Venice by train and about the same from Milan.

However Milan - Rome is about 4 hours 30 minutes by train and not a great deal shorter by plane once you count heck in time etc.

I would therefore, sadly because Rome is a great place, as indeed is Florence if it is art and architecture you are interested in, concentrate on Venice and or Milan.

Venice is incomparable, there is nothing quite like it in the world and I would be tempted to devote all the time I could afford on such a short trip just to Venice.

Milan does not appear to be such a popular tourist destination as Venice but there is still a lot to see there also

Where do you plan to fly out of when you leave Italy? Milan, Venice and Rome are all good airports for international departures so that is a matter which might influence your choices about cities to visit?

Atlanta, GA
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy for 4 days

Robert,

We will most likely fly in/out of Verona as the cost of the ticket goes up considerably flying into Verona and out of the other airports and it is less expensive to go into Verona than Venice (and Verona is easier for me since my meeting is at Lake Garda). The reason I was considering Rome was Ryan Air has Very cheap flights from either Verona or Venice and are late in the evening. I have a couple people I work with who tell me I should devote my time to Venice and 1 day in Verona.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,575 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy for 4 days

If you are flying in and out of Verona I would very definitely stay in the north of italy and not waste time going down to Rome, wonderful place though it is. You can comfortably spend 4 days in Venice (my wife and I go frequently, never less than a week) as there is so much to see and if you add in vaporetto trips to Murano, Burano and Torcello you have a full itinerary

CA
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy for 4 days

I agree that one day is enough for Verona..and I have a friend who lives there! Milan is for business. It isn't magical at all. I spent most of last year in Italy. If this will be your only trip ever to Italia, then I suggest Venice and Rome only! BUT...if you'll be returning, I would spend my time in Venice only. There is NO place as magical! You'll need at least 4 days for Rome, and that's a whirlwind tour.

In Rome, check out Alex's B&B. Its about 2 blocks from the Vatican and for about E45/night for single and E70/night for a double, you can't beat it for the basics. Check out its web site.

If you go to Rome and have only a couple of days, DON'T pay for the tours. You can buy a ticket for the On & Off bus and see the sights yourself at your own pace for about E25. There are plenty of tour guides around each sight talking to their groups. You can listen to them for free.