We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel w/good location w/rooms to fit 3 tall people

California, US
2 posts
Hotel w/good location w/rooms to fit 3 tall people

This will be our first trip to Venice and we would love to have a view in at least a *** hotel. The problems we face are that

we are all tall, 2 over 6'3", so a roll out won't due. Our 20yr,

son will be with us so we want to close to the activites if he stays out later than us, but my husband and I are light sleepers, yet there's always ambian. Does anyone know Venice well go give us some advice?

Thanks in advance

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
19,457 posts
126 reviews
1. Re: Hotel w/good location w/rooms to fit 3 tall people

Beds in Venetian hotels are often in a heavy Venetian style fuurniture so check there are no large solid wooden bed ends at the bottom which might get in the way of your feet.

As for "activities" for a 20 year old Venice is not the greatest places for night life. There is one night club with dancing - the Casanova Music Cafe in Lista di Spagna, 158A Cannaaregio - which goes on till 4 a.m. and a few other bars with occasional music lateish at night.

Camp Santa Margherita in Dorsoduro has a lot of bars, restaurants and cafes around it and is on the edge of the University area so during term-time there are quite a few students around.

The Tripadvisor users' comments on Hotels give you a good feel for a place and there are lots to check on.

Many people like a hotel close to San Marco so they are close to the centre of things but in reality Venice is not large, you can walk across the islands in about an hour. Moreover there are many important places scattered all over the islands of Venice and even further afield in the lagoon on Murano, Burano and Torcello. As a consequence I do not think location is all that important really.

My wife and I tend to stay in the Dorsoduro area because it is a little quieter, a little less touristy and possibly a little cheaper than closer to San Marco but that is just our personal taste. I really feel there is no area in Venice which is significantly better or worse than any other.

In recent years we have used in Dorsoduro, and liked, the Accademia, Fondamenta Bollani, 1058 Dorsoduro (www.pensioneaccademia.it)

The American, Fondamenta Bragadin, 628 Dorsoduro (www.hotelamerican.com)

alla Salute da Cici, Fondamenta Ca'Bala, Dorsoduro 222 (www.hotelsalute.com)

All three of these are on quiet side canals and some rooms have good canal views.

California, US
2 posts
2. Re: Hotel w/good location w/rooms to fit 3 tall people

Thank you, Robert, for all your good information. I read your reply then continued to read all your replies and found much valuable info. If you ever need info on San Francisco, let me know. Thanks again.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
19,457 posts
126 reviews
3. Re: Hotel w/good location w/rooms to fit 3 tall people

Thanks "love2travl" for your kind words and invitation re. San Francisco. Sadly, over forty years ago I was associated with the University of West Virginia, Morgantown and was so utterly disgusted with the attitudes of their senior staff that I swore a mighty oath never to have anything to do with any American institution again! I have kept my word, and at 75 I doubt if I will change and cross the Atlantic.

I have nothing against individual citizens of the USA, many, indeed most, are very pleasant people but some of the institutions I consider an abomination.