We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Venice , coming from the port

Ajax, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Venice , coming from the port

I have investigated and read so much about the best area to choose in Venice, I AM CONFUSED. Can some one help me, please? I currently have 2 hotels booked one Hotel Gabrielli in Castello and

Ca'San Roco in San Palo. We are coming from the port with luggage and then need to get to the airport. For the 3 days in Venice we want to see the sights, Bridge of SIghs, Rialto Bridge. Any suggestions are welcome!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Hotel Gabrielli
Hotel Gabrielli
1,114 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Hotel Rialto
Hotel Rialto
2,372 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Hotel Moresco
Hotel Moresco
#1 of 388 hotels in Venice
Charming House DD724
Charming House DD724
#3 of 388 hotels in Venice
Locanda Orseolo
Locanda Orseolo
#4 of 388 hotels in Venice
6 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
94,598 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Venice , coming from the port

Venice is so small that it really does not matter where you stay. There is no "best" area.

The important thing is to ensure there are no canal bridges between your hotel and the nearest vaporetto stop, as these bridges are a pain with luggage. Your hotels' web sites will have a map showing how to reach then. Look closely at these maps to see whether there are any canal crossings.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Venice , coming from the port

Hotel Gabrielli is very close to the big sites. Piazza San Marco, Doges Palace, Bridge of Sighs etc Your cruise ship may have a shuttle to San Marco otherwise the No1 vaporetto takes about 35 mins from the people mover at Piazzale Roma. However your stop would probably be Arsenale another few minutes. That area has great views of Venice and is not too crowded. Nearby via Garabaldi is almost tourist free and has some great trattoria. Your walk from the hotel to San Marco would probably be about 7 or 8 minutes and what a walk!

That’s where I would stay.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Gabrielli
Hotel Gabrielli
1,114 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Doge's Palace
Doge's Palace
21,864 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Piazzale Roma
Piazzale Roma
30 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Venice , coming from the port

For me, it would be the Ca’ San Rocco, based on the look and feel of the area. The Gabrielli is on Riva Schiavoni, a quite busy part of town.

The San Rocco is three bridges from Piazle Roma, but two of those bridges are pretty easy. Not sure about the third, but it is not as if you would be hauling your bags over the Scalzi or Rialto.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Gabrielli
Hotel Gabrielli
1,114 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Hotel Rialto
Hotel Rialto
2,372 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,963 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Venice , coming from the port

It depends on your own tastes, OP, but if you would like to be slightly away from the tourist throng then the Ca San Rocco would be the better choice.

Both hotels have bridges to cross, however.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Venice , coming from the port

Many of the bridges on Riva degli Schiavoni have parallel ramps for wheel chair crossing and people with luggage.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,904 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Venice , coming from the port

I would agree Ca'San Rocco, a nice area, the other one is in a busy area, do cancel the one you decide against, not fair on the Hotel or anyone wanting to stay there,

Reply to: Where to stay in Venice , coming from the port
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted