We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cat Sanctuary, Malamocco, Lido, Venice.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Cat Sanctuary, Malamocco, Lido, Venice.

Just a quick note with directions to the Cat Sanctuary on the Lido, for those that fancy a visit, and would like to make a donation.

"DINGO is a nonprofit organization that helps stray cats in Venice. These cat colonies are scattered throughout Venice and its islands. DINGO relies on private vets who work at reduced fees as well as the Public Veterinary Services whose help is unfortunately quite limited. They rely heavily on donations, sell a yearly calendar and have a stall in the market where they sell donated items.

DINGO address: Cannaregio 482/B, 30121 Venezia.

E-mail: dingo@innocente.com

Secretary for DINGO: Signora Gabriella Sanna. Head of Malamocco Sanctuary: Maria Grazia Macaluso "

The Sanctuary is open to the public Monday thru Saturday, 9am till 1pm. Please be aware that the sanctuary is run by a very dedicated, but extremely under resourced staff. It may be that there won't be anyone available to show you round, due to vets visiting etc, so an email before, may be advisable.

The address of the sanctuary is

Gattile Di Malamocco

Via Teadato Ipato

Malamocco 30126

Lido Di Venezia

If you arrive on the Lido via vaporetto, as you exit the water bus stop, about 20 metres to your right, is a bus stop that will take you down to Malamocco. (If you have the 1/3 day vaporetto passes, these also work on the land buses on the Lido) You'll stay on the bus for about 10/15 mins and get off at Malamocco. With the sea on your right, via Teodata Ipato is on your left. Walk to the end of this road, and then take a right turn, and then turn right again, and the shelter is just there.

Here's a link to a google map;

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=venice,+italy&hl=en&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=15&ll=45.375785,12.34314&spn=0.013837,0.029397&iwloc=addr

and he's a link to google earth, which shows the cat's home, with it's lovely cat houses, and sheltered gardens (bottom right hand of the picture, the office building has a greenish roof, with the white cat house roofs showing up to the right.)

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=venice,+italy&hl=en&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=18&ll=45.369876,12.34005&spn=0.00173,0.003675&t=k

If you love cats, it's really worth the trip. They are all genuinely loved and cared for, and if you can afford it, really need donations to go towards the vets bills.

Enjoy!

K

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
231 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cat Sanctuary, Malamocco, Lido, Venice.

Thanks very much Kathleen for sharing the info about this wonderful organization in Venice. If it weren't for you, I would not have had any idea they existed. I am definitely going to try and pay a visit when I am in Venice at the end of May. Thanks again!

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cat Sanctuary, Malamocco, Lido, Venice.

No problem, give "Icarus" and "Caramela" a cuddle for me!!

K

x

Alentejo, Portugal
Level Contributor
420 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cat Sanctuary, Malamocco, Lido, Venice.

Speaking of cats, I was very disapointed and sad to verify that there are no stray cats in Venice at all. I always went out at night for 8 nights and I've seen ONE cat in the street, one. I think the authorities made them disappear some years ago which is a shame. In Lisbon, where I'm from, the authorities sterilize them and then let them go again to wander the streets like they have been doing for centuries. Venice should do the same, the place of cats is out in the streets not locked up in some island behind fences.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cat Sanctuary, Malamocco, Lido, Venice.

50 cats live in the Venice hospital. they have nice quarters in the lower regions

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cat Sanctuary, Malamocco, Lido, Venice.

There are lots of "cat communities" in Venice, where the cats are trapped, neutered and released. The locals feed, and even build them little houses. In Italy, feral animals are officially (supposed to be) protected, for example the cat colonies living among the Forums, in Rome. However, if cats are demeed to be abandoned, and I know in Venice this is decided on the condition of the cat, i.e. injured, bad condition, starving, then they are taken to the cat home to receive treatment and care, in the hope they can be homed.

As Agatha said, if you want to be sure to see some cats, go to the Ospedale Civile. The beautiful brown tabby you'll see sitting at the entrance is called Marco. There is a small colony, in their own houses, by the church of San Lorenzo in Castello. I also saw lots of cats when I was wandering about Cannaregio, a few weeks ago.

The cat shelter (which was previously on San Clemente, before the hotel opened) has been in Venice for many years. Their priority is the welfare of the animals, and while some cats thrive living on their wits, some need a little help...

K

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,291 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cat Sanctuary, Malamocco, Lido, Venice.

NO cat deserves to be living on the street. No more than no person deserves to be homeless.

Cats have been domesticated over the centuries to provide love and companionship to humans. The least the humans can do is to provide them with food and shelter from the cold.

In the perfect world, we would have no strays. Until then, we must try to find them shelter.

THANKS to Kathleen for posting this.

Wisconsin, USA
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Cat Sanctuary, Malamocco, Lido, Venice.

I would like to add a few notes to Kathleen's posting.

The sanctuary is definitely worth visiting. Bruno, who runs the facility, suggested visits in the late morning (we arrived around 10am and they were busy feeding the cats).

The email suggestion was great, however, it was rejected by my email program, so I'm not sure it still works.

Also, there is construction (or was, as of October 2007) on via Teodata Ipato, so you need to get off the bus at Malamocca 6/6 (there are multiple Malamocca stops), cross the street (away from the ocean) and take the path immediately to your left, then take a right across the first foot bridge you come to. Wind around behind some dwellings and you'll get to via Teodata. Kathleen's directions are spot on from there.

This was a wonderful and inspiring place to visit. These people are dedicated and caring, and desperately in need of support. If you go, as Kathleen said, donations are greatly appreciated.

Marcia

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cat Sanctuary, Malamocco, Lido, Venice.

Marcia!!

I'm so glad you took the time to visit. I hope Bruno is well. Did you get to meet the lovely Maria too?

I know one shouldn't have favourites, but I don't suppose you got to see Icarus (large black cat with misaligned jaw) and Caramela (who wanders on her own, with no tail) who are two of the inside cats??

I'm just sorting out a christmas package to get sent off at the moment. I'll see if I can find out another email address/phone number, because I always just turn up, and they are so kind, but it can be a problem for them, so a bit of pre planning would be best.

Once again, thanks for the update. I can't wait till my next visit!!!

Kathleen

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,856 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cat Sanctuary, Malamocco, Lido, Venice.

I am so disappointed I didn't know about this before my trip!! I would have loved to visit and donate. What an excellent service these people are providing. One thing my husband and I noticed when we were in Italy was that there were very very few stray animals there. It's nice to hear they are cared for better than in many countries we have visited.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cat Sanctuary, Malamocco, Lido, Venice.

Having checked, I actually put the wrong email address for DINGO on this post!!! It should be;

dingove@innocent.com

However, I mailed the address a couple of weeks back, and still haven't had a reply, so perhaps it's no longer in use?

This is the direct phone number for the Cats Home;

041 5265002

Ask for either Maria or Bruno, as they both speak good English, and they should be able to help.

I'll be visiting again on my April trip, so will update then.

K

xx