We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me pick 2 restaurants from my list of 6, PLEASE :)

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Topic
Help me pick 2 restaurants from my list of 6, PLEASE :)

HI everyone,

I'll be in Venice for 3 days and am planning on having two nice dinners.

I've sorted through TONS of restaurants and have narrowed it down to these:

Noemi

Terrazza Orseolo

Antico Martini

Fiaschetteria Toscana

Poste Vecie

Ai Gondolieri

2 important things... My husband will NOT eat seafood no matter what, so he would need some sort of checken, beef, or pasta. Also, we're not big "foodies" and probably wouldn't know the difference between very good food and haute cuisine. What we are looking for is a really nice atmosphere, pretty dining rooms, and an opportunity to dress up. Ok, Ok, so I'M looking for that (not so much my husband - he he:).

I'd appreciate ANY input you have to offer. I'm all ears!

Thanks so much,

Melissa :)

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,836 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me pick 2 restaurants from my list of 6, PLEASE :)

Must admit I hav'nt eaten at these places but from what I have read,the only one that serves soley meat is Ai Gondolieri, you will get meats dishes in the others, but Venice Restaurants do serve mainly Fish,

Surrey
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me pick 2 restaurants from my list of 6, PLEASE :)

Hi Melissa. I don't know why Noemi is on your list? It is nothing special and has had some bad reviews. Certainly nothing to dress up for- just an ordinary tourist restaurant.

Terrazza Orseolo on the other hand is a very smart restaurant. It has an elegant atmosphere-sometimes in the summer there is a pianist - though some diners are also likely to be casually dressed. A very wide-ranging menu, so `I am sure your husband will be fine. It is expensive and I cannot guarantee the quality of the food, but as the latter is not crucial to you, I would think this restaurant should match your criteria (it's also opposite Armani, so you can do some smart window shopping at the same time.)

Antico Martini- very pretty dining room and an illustrious past. Likely to be dressy. But I think a recent poster (Cassius?) said he had his worst meal here.

Of the others on your list, Fiashetteria Toscana is probably the most dressy. Ai Gondolieri and Poste Vecie are more casual.

If you are looking for a posh and beautiful setting (and not so bothered by cost or the best food) why not consider the restaurants at the big hotels with their fabulously located restuarants eg the Monaco and Grand, the Danieli, the Gritti Palace or even Cipriani?

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,410 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me pick 2 restaurants from my list of 6, PLEASE :)

The two Michelin starred restaurants in Venice are

Da Fiore, Calle del Scaleter, San Polo 2202

"Met" in Hotel Metropole, Riva degli Schiavoni. San Marco

Both are the sort of places where you may well see visitng celebrities, both need booking in advance.

Not listed in Michelin (I wonder why) but enjoyed by people who like dressing up and luxury hotels are the restaurants in the Cipriani Hotel. Again, need to book a table, if you do, their private launch will take you over from San Marco to the Cipriani.

For location and ambiance the Locanda Cipriani (different branch of the family) on Torcello has much to recoomend it. Definitely luxurious (and expensive) to take a private water taxi out to Torcello but wonderful experience on a summer evening.

ai Gondolieri in Dorsoduro is opposite the Peggy Guggenheim Museum in a pleasant area. Not a particularly "dressing up" place and the great drawback to my mind of being meat only when the best thing about Venetian cuisine is the fine array of seafood. Pity about your husband and his unadventurous taste in food - still you could always take someone else to Venice - me if there is seafood on offer, perhaps.

Just round the corner from ai Gondolieri is Cantinone Storico, which with Trattoria San Trovaso, I eat at more fequently than anywhere else in Venice - because they are close to the hotels I usually use.

Fiaschetteria Toscana has a good mixed menu so something for everyone, but again, not particularly a dressing up sort of place.

The other places you list I cannot comment on.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me pick 2 restaurants from my list of 6, PLEASE :)

I am going to join in here. I, like your husband, do not eat fish. My favorite restaurant is Harry's Bar, but only down stairs. They have marvelous food, perfect service, and 99% of the customers are dressed in smart casual.

Harry's does not allow shorts through the door. So, that tells you something right there.

Many people who are regualrs on this forum will poo poo Harry's as a tourist trap. Well, if a toursit tap serves excellent food and good wine, and is a place full of happy people and one dish cost in the region of 30 euros..then so be it.

have a wonderful time

Ai Gondolieri is the only restaurant serving only meat. It is a charming place and very enjoyable.

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me pick 2 restaurants from my list of 6, PLEASE :)

We ate in Antico Martini last summer. It is on your list.We thought the food (a 4 course menu at 55 Euros) was good and you can dress up to your heart's content.

Of course you won't eat as well as in Harry's, but but you can do with less deep pockets.

Fiaschetteria Toscana is much less formal, but the food is very good.

Merseyside
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me pick 2 restaurants from my list of 6, PLEASE :)

hI

I have a similar problem. We are visiting Venice for 5 days in May When abroad I will not let my husband eat fish or meat. He just has a very sensitive stomache and is always ill if he eats either. (not at home tho) Anyway we are always live on pasta and pizza when abroad. We have just come back from Girona and managed quite well, the pasta , pizza and gnocci there was lovely. Hope you find a place that suits you and enjoy yourselves.

Steph

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me pick 2 restaurants from my list of 6, PLEASE :)

Steph, Try to go to Alla Zucca (ponte del megio,santa croce) great for Vegetables and pasta.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me pick 2 restaurants from my list of 6, PLEASE :)

Melissa, My fav is Ai Gondolierei in the small room as you come in on the left,more cosy setting.Fantastic,real food and a great choice for your husband.Go,you won't regret it.

Another of my fav's is Poste Vecie,which is one of the oldest Trattoria's in Venice.Lots of fish on the menu,with pasta choices also and some meat.Lovely room,with an old fireplace,and 16th century decor on the walls.You must sit in this room as you come in on the left - do not let them sit you in their garden room unless it's a warm evening and you want to.

Strike Noemi off the list - part of a small hotel,and nothing special.I have not eaten in the other places.

Dress up to the hilt as you please,so lovely when you feel good and get a chance to dress up - in the perfect setting that Venice is.Have a wonderful trip!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me pick 2 restaurants from my list of 6, PLEASE :)

Nav, I have noticed a growing trend. When it is a thread about food, you are always there! I'm not saying anything, though.......... (TeeHee!) Tabby.

Merseyside
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me pick 2 restaurants from my list of 6, PLEASE :)

Navarra

Thanks for the advice, it is a great help. I am going toget my map out now and look for it.

Thanks again.

Steph