We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Venice

Which Padua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Venice

Thinking of a day trip from Venice, should it be Verona or Padua? Any other ideas?. We are not planning to have a car during this part of our trip.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,611 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Venice

Excursions by train from Venice to Verona, Padova or Peschiera del Garda www.trenitalia.com/trenitalia21.html

Veneto region www.italia.it/en/home.html www.gardainforma.com

Lake Garda ferry www.navigazionelaghi.it

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Venice

Both are worth visiting, but I personally prefer Padua, which also has the advantage of being much closer to Venice. If you wish to see the Cappella degli Scrovegni make you have an advance booking. Besides that there is also the Basilica of St Anthony, the university, the markets, the Botanic Gardens and more. I actually spent 2 days there, so there is more than enough for a day trip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,178 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Venice

I agree with Padua. You might find the Padova Card useful and certainly book for the Scrovegni Chapel.

We went by bus from Venice but you can also go by train.

Verona has a Roman arena and Roman theatre plus all the manufactured hype about Romeo and Juliet. An interesting town for the Roman parts, but I prefer Padua.

C M
Valley Stream, New...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Venice

I just tried to book two second class train tickets from Venice (s.Lucia) station to Padua station roundtrip for $92. As I progressed through checkout, it posted that an increase in price made the cost now $204. Does this seem reasonable for a 30 minute trainride???

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,178 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Venice

You can get a regionale ticket for about E10. Just buy it on the day (allow a bit of time for queues) or the day before at Venice station.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,124 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Venice

In fact, the local trains between Venice and Padova cost E3.55 each way.

There is no point in booking these trains in advance. There are no seat reservations (so tickets cannot sell out) and no discounts.

Could you please give us the name of the web site that wanted to charge $204 for a train ride costing E3.55?

Mestre, Italy
Level Contributor
6,595 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Venice

Don't book local trains in advance. Tha price is a robbery. Mind that Verona is bigger and nicer if you would like to stay in the evening.

8. Re: Day trip from Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 06, 2014