We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day in Padua

Which Padua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
442 posts
414 reviews
Save Topic
A day in Padua

For those who know Padua, is this a "reasonable" idea?

We will be picking up a rental car in Venice around 11 a.m. and driving to Padua. Assuming that we are actually in the car by 11:30 it seems we could be in Padua by 12:30.

I'm trying to decide if an afternoon is going to be enough, and that by the end of the day we could be on our way to go spend the night in Ferrara ... or if we should find a place to spend the night in Padua?

Obvsiously we want to see the Scrovegni Chapel -- and I'm thinking the Padua Card makes sense -- it's only 3 Euro more than entrance to the Chapel alone!

But if we also want to a few other places - the Basilica of St. Anthony, the Bapistry, Prato del Valle, Orto botanico di Padova, etc.

Is trying to do that between noon and 5 p.m. a good afternoon or idiotic?

Padua, Italy
Destination Expert
for Padua
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day in Padua

That is probably doable, if you run and look at the all places you listed while running.

Consider that you need to get your Scrovegni Chapel ticket an hour before the visit and you need to show up at the entrance 5 minutes before the booked time, then you will spend 15 minutes in the waiting room for the air cleaning, and another 15 minutes to enjoy Giotto masterpiece.

I would advice to cut down the places you want to visit to just a couple (including the Chapel) and spend the remaining time sipping a coffee Piazza delle Erbe or Piazza dei Signori.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
442 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day in Padua

Ciao, Ceccoman -

Yes, I realize the absurdity!

We got a hotel for the parade on the 19th @ Ferrara for the Palio, so we will spend at least one night in Padua!

Thanks for answering!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
442 posts
414 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day in Padua

Ciao, Ceccoman - We have decided to take the train Venice-Padua & rent the car from Padua and spend the night in Padua. So we will get to Padua at lunch time on Thursday & stay until late afternoon on Friday.

Now that we are spending the night in Padua on a Thursday night and in Ferrara on a Saturday night -- would you recommend getting a place for Friday in Ravenna, or booking Ferrara for both Friday & Saturday & making Ravenna a day-trip?

Also, I see you are from Padua -- can you recommend a good place for lunch or for dinner?

many thanks!

Padua, Italy
Destination Expert
for Padua
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A day in Padua

Ciao ASASG_7,

honestly both Ferrara and Ravenna are beautiful towns, that is a hard very choice indeed.

Maybe you should write down what you plan to see on Ferrara and Ravenna, compare them and then decide where do you want to focus, don't be afraid of skipping something, from my experience is better to spend some more time on a place instead of rushing from here to there trying to see everything, but that's just me opinion :)

Padua offers many choices for lunch and dinner, you won't need to move from the center, try to have a look at the listed restaurants here in TA.

5. Re: A day in Padua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, June 18, 2013