We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which city is best base for Venice/Padua/Verona/Vicenza

Which Padua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
28 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Which city is best base for Venice/Padua/Verona/Vicenza

I have 8 nights to visit Venice/Padua/Verona/Vicenza in September. I would greatly appreciate a recommendation as to which city (cities) to stay at. Would it be best to stay the entire time in say Padua and day-trip to Venice/Verona/Vicenza? Should I split up the nights to stay in different cities?

Thanks!

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which city is best base for Venice/Padua/Verona/Vicenza

Get a guide book with a good map to ascertain your interests.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,162 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which city is best base for Venice/Padua/Verona/Vicenza

My choice would be to stay in Venice, simply because there is no other city like it anywhere. You can easily get to Padova, Verona, and Vicenza by train from Venice.

Tidewater Virginia
Level Contributor
266 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which city is best base for Venice/Padua/Verona/Vicenza

It does depend on your interests. For using your time efficiently, consider staying 4 nights in Padua, covering that city and Venice. Or vice versa. They are 1/2 hour apart by train.

Then 4 nights in Verona, covering that city and Vicenza. Also, from Verona, you can see Sirmione and Lake Garda. Soave is nice to visit. Even Mantova is not too far away.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,192 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which city is best base for Venice/Padua/Verona/Vicenza

I agree, divide and conquer. It does take time to exit and enter Venice. It also can become costly with your commutes. I would suggest staying 3 days and Venice and moving on. Much easier!

Padua, Italy
Destination Expert
for Padua
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which city is best base for Venice/Padua/Verona/Vicenza

Nowadays the problem is Trenitalia, the italian railways decided to cut the regional trains and increase the price of faster trains (eurocity and eurostarts).

Reaching Venice from Verona takes 2 hours and just 6,15 euros with the regional train or just 1 hour and 18,5 euros with the faster one.

Considering the things to see and do I would also suggest to stay in Venice, then you can decide to dedicate a couple of days to Verona or Padova.

Vicenza has the best to see on the countryside (the Palladio's villas), therefore it would need to rent a car.

Feel free to ask for more infos! Happy planning.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,836 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which city is best base for Venice/Padua/Verona/Vicenza

Eight nights is not too long to stay in Venice, especially if you are doing day trips out, best to have a base rather than packing and unpacking every few day's

Montreal CANADA
Level Contributor
167 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which city is best base for Venice/Padua/Verona/Vicenza

Hi, Sophie.

I quite agree with you. I'll be spending 2 months in Italy this summer and I have rented an apartment in Venice for 10 days and during that time I'll day-trip to Padua, Vicenza, Mantova and, if I can manage to squeeze it in, to Ferrara.

As for Verona, I'll visit it as a day-trip from (Laglio) on Lake Como where I've rented an apartments for 7 days.

Edited: 11:17 am, April 28, 2010
Verona, Italy
Destination Expert
for Verona
Level Contributor
1,574 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Which city is best base for Venice/Padua/Verona/Vicenza

mmmm Verona as a day trip from Laglio is quite a long trip.

9. Re: Which city is best base for Venice/Padua/Verona/Vicenza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 26, 2010