We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train tickets in advance?

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
train tickets in advance?

is it worth it ,or even possible to get train tickets now ,for May trip? I will need to get from Padova,to Milano. what generally is hotel check-out time?

Scrovegni Chapel
Churches & Cathedrals, Sacred & Religious Sites
Prato della Valle
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Centro Storico
Points of Interest & Landmarks
durham
Level Contributor
147 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train tickets in advance?

I too am trying to purchase tickets for May but the site will not let me. I don't know whether its too early or not but no luck as yet. The website is www.trenitalia.com. (Click on the Union Jack for the english version. At least you will be able to get an idea of train times. All Hotels have different check in times - I've noticed some as early as 11.00am and some as late at 3.00p.m

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train tickets in advance?

thanks,stoke..I cannot get early morning in May tickets yet..frustrated,I went to a travel agent:she tried,only came up with late afternoon/evening..then was told had to be purchased 60 days in advance,no earlier..we'll see

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train tickets in advance?

It isn't necessary to buy these tickets before you get to Italy. There are lots of trains on these routes, and you can easily get the tickets from a train station or travel agent in Italy.

It's true that you usually can't see all the trains on any route if you're looking at a date far in the future. To get an idea of schedules, try a day next week. There may be *slight* changes once the summer schedules come out, but not usually anything major.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train tickets in advance?

bvlenci,it's true even in May,when there are lots of tourists? 'cause I really must have a morning train!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train tickets in advance?

There are 10 trains between Padova and Milan on a weekday morning between 6 and 12. I can't imagine any circumstance under which they would all be completely sold out several days in advance. There's even one regional train, which doesn't have reservations, although it's slow and you're not guaranteed a seat. However, it's not at rush hour, so you would almost certainly not have to stand. It's also the cheapest train.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train tickets in advance?

By the way, you can check schedules on this site:

www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Just don't put in dates more than a month or so in advance. Put in a date next week, just to get a general idea.

Mansfield U.K.
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train tickets in advance?

We come back to this subject over and over again.

Our friends from the States and Canada just cannot seem to imagine a rail network of frequent fast and efficient trains which run well below capacity.

Just believe it !!

Come to think of it knowing the shambles we have in the U.K. we can't believe it either !

Bob.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train tickets in advance?

Trenitalia only wishes their trains were so full!

Bucharest
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: train tickets in advance?

I totally agre with previous posts: trains in Italy are a marvel! Between any two destination it is impossible not to find a good train connexion, and usually there is at least one per hour! Unless you use a speed train (for which you must buy the ticket one day in advance) just show uo in the station 30 min in advance and you will have your ticket. May be more time will be needed in Rome and Milano central train stations since the queues are longuer.

I think that from any other European country (if you make a longuer tour) the local train Company will be able to sell you tickets for Italy, since all the train Companies are interconnected (I usually buy mine, in order to economise time, from the Romanian Train Company, about one month in advance, and they can sell tickets for every type of train in Italy)

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train tickets in advance?

thank you,everyone,for reassurances..I have travelled well many times by train from Rome,Naples,and Milan,but I've never been to Padua before,and wanted to be sure.So,again,thanks!