We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolomites itinerary May 2014

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
29 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Dolomites itinerary May 2014

We have 16 nts to travel from Milan and return. We want to be leisurely but also see and do a lot.

We are traveling in Mid-May and will have a rental car.

Please comment-thank you

Lago de Garda-2 nts

Verona-2 nts

Belluno-1 nt on way to Dolomites

Castellroto-4 nts---is this the best place to base?

? 3 days to travel to Lago de Como--Merano, Bormio??

Lago de Como-3 nts

Paula

Piazza Duomo
Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Dolomites itinerary May 2014

More touristy? Most places in the Dolomites are touristy, as the Val Gardena and the Seiser Alm/Alpe di Siusi are hiking area's in the summer and skiing in the winter. So I guess it's touristy. Hopefully the weather cooperates and you have a fantastic trip all around. I think once you see the Dolomites, you'll be back. They are like nothing else in the Alps. If you don't mind some winding roads and elevation changes, drive at least the Gardena Pass, at least the cafe/rest stop. The drive and the scenery are truly amazing.

Paul

Minnesota
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Dolomites itinerary May 2014

Paula and Paul: I hope this is not rude of me to chime in and ask questions. It happens so that I, along with 2 other women are also planning to travel to the same area about the same time. However, we're a bit maniac as we plan to drive from Venice through the Dolomites in one day, stay in the area for one night before continue the drive the next day to reach Menaggio, Lake Como. I have driven through here once about 13-14 years ago in November and did not stay long. I would like to give my 2 friends an orientation of the area so we may come back for another trip.

I need advice on the following:

1. Memory has faded from my last trip so I can't remember if this is a realistic itinerary ?

2. The purpose is "scenic drive". How would you recommend Venice-Cortina-La Villa-Menaggio ?

3. Will this take us through Val Gardena which sounds heavenly ?

4. Ciasa Montanara sounds like a great place to overnight, will that give me enough time to arrive Menaggio the next day? If so, do you have the contact info for them. If you'd like, you can email me directly through Trip Advisor.

5. What scenic route would you recommend Ciasa Montanara-Menaggio. I've been looking at maps and for the life of me, I can't figure out the most scenic drive to Lake Como that will allow me to arrive Menaggio the next day. We plan to ditch the car upon arrival at Lake Como. I've checked out viamichelin.com website but need more time to figure out if the route offered is the most scenic. Any chance I can stop by Lake Carezza. Paul's photo captivated me !

Any advice from either of you, especially Paul will be much appreciated. By the way, my favorite photo of yours is View of Dolomites from La Villa and Lake Carezza !

MJ

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Dolomites itinerary May 2014

Hi MJ,

I'll say up front that I've never driven to or been to Lake Como.

Just driving through the Val Gardena isn't what I'd call "heavenly". The Gardena Pass, the surrounding area, yes, but not just to drive through. From your proposed route, the best scenery you'll be driving through in my opinion would be from Cortina d'Ampezzo until you reach the Val Gardena. That's not to say the Val Gardena isn't nice. I suggested the Val Gardena as a base in mid May as I think there would be more choices of restaurants, etc. there than some other places and it's a convenient place to base for day trips in the Dolomites.

According to www.viamichelin.com the drive from Venice to La Villa (via Cortina) is about 4 hours.

From La Villa to Lake Como would be about 6.5 hours. If you used mostly highways, it says 5:45. I don't know if either is good with you.

Paul

Minnesota
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Dolomites itinerary May 2014

Thank you Paul for your info. This is helpful. I'll continue researching. To be honest, at this moment, I'm most excited about the Dolomites, even if I'm only driving through. I'll have to dedicate a few days in April or May to go through the Dolomites in the next year or two.

MJ

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Dolomites itinerary May 2014

A drive through the Dolomites as you have planned, Cortina to the Val Gardena, is absolutely gorgeous. You'll see quite a bit actually. Plenty of quintessential Dolomite vistas and peaks. Along the Gardena Pass, you'll be about as close to the peaks as possible. Out of this world amazing.

Paul

16. Re: Dolomites itinerary May 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 03, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Trento