I will be taking the train up from Trento to Bolzano and was hoping to spend some time by one of the lakes up there. I will base myself in Bolzano from May 28th (evening) to May 30th (leaving to Verona on the 30th). I have several question that I hope you can help me with:
1. Are any of the lakes in this region accessible by public transport? If so, when would the last transport back be?
2. If not, is it easy to rent a car in Bolzano for a day? Would the drive be fairly straight forward? Would there be too much traffic? Where can I go (website) to find a guide to local parking and traffic signs?
3. Would this be do-able as a day trip?
4. Would I have to pack food for the day?
5. Should I book train tickets from Trento to Bolzano before I leave the US, or can I just pick it up at the station?
6. Are there train passes that will work for travel from Verona to Trento; Trento to Bolzano and Bolzano to Trento and Trento to Verona. These travels be on different days in the period May 25th to May 30th.
Thank you so much.