We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking home base in Dolomites without car

illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Hiking home base in Dolomites without car

My wife and I (both in early 60's) will be traveling in July from Munich where our tour ends to spend 4-5 days hiking in the Dolomites. We enjoy hikes between 3-4 hrs in duration with maybe 300 meters of elevation change. We will be using public transportation and would like to fly to Stockholm after our hiking is finished. I have several questions that i would love someone's input on:

1. from Munich by train which city would we want to choose as our destination to the Dolomites,

2. without a car and access to a decent hotel what city within the Dolomites would we want to stay in that would allow us easy access to the trails,

3. when our hiking is over what city would be the most economical and close proximity that we could fry to Sweden from.

d

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,243 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking home base in Dolomites without car

Hi,

For #2, I'd suggest Ortisei in the Val Gardena. Actually, any of the 3 towns/villages that make up the Val Gardena (Ortisei, St. Christina, Selva) would be good, as they're only a few minutes from one to the other. Plenty of cable cars and lifts to take you into and up to the mountains.

www.val-gardena.com

www.valgardena.it

#3 - I'd probably go with Munich, Milan or Innsbruck. Not sure about Bolzano (closest city to the Val Gardena/Dolomites.

Paul

Mentioned in this post
Val Gardena
Val Gardena
Province of South Tyrol, Italy
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking home base in Dolomites without car

I assume we would take a train from Munich to Bolzano and then a bus from there to Ortisei. Is there a direct bus link between the two cities and if so approximately how often do the buses run and how long a trip is it by but? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,243 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking home base in Dolomites without car

Hi,

I'm not 100% sure, but 99% sure that you don't have to go to Bolzano, but you can take the train to Ponte Gardena/Waidbruck at the entrance to the Val Gardena. Here you take the bus into the Val Gardena.

valgardena.it/en/how-to-get-there/page30.html

I copied this paragraph from a member named "giftzwerg" from another thread:

INNSBRUCK TO VAL GARDENA

Take the train to Ponte Gardena/Waidbruck www.oebb.at then the 350 Bus service. The 350 Bus service runs every 30mins or so and takes ~ 35mins to Ortisei ~ 40mins to Selva (di Val Gardena)

http://www.sii.bz.it/en

Paul

Mentioned in this post
Val Gardena
Val Gardena
Yaxley, Suffolk
Level Contributor
608 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking home base in Dolomites without car

1. Yes, Ortisei or Selva would be ideal as both are easy to get to with public transport. However be aware that: train from Munich which will be a EC Euro City train does not stop at Ponte Gardena. You need to change trains at Brenner and get on the local train to stop at Ponte Gardena

2. Lots of hotels to choose from in Selva and Ortisei

3. Closest cities for flights will be Innsbruck and Verona though i don't know if either have flights to Sweden. Next choices would be Venice and Salzburg. After that Munich and Milan and lastly if you really get stuck then Zurich

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Verona
Verona
Province of Verona, Italy
Sweden
Sweden
Europe
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
817 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking home base in Dolomites without car

Hello

If you're catching an EC train from Munich then get off at Bolzano, and then depending on timings and luggage, either get a direct bus from Bolzano, or catch a regional train back up to Ponde Gardena/Waidbruck.

This is an easier solution that changing trains at Brenner

DD

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
13,108 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking home base in Dolomites without car

MUNICH TO ORTISEI

Going to Bolzano is a waste of time.

It takes ~4hrs to get from Munich to Bolzano direct on the Munich - Verona train but takes the same time to get to Ponte Gardena/Waidbruck with only one change at BRESSANONE/BRIXEN

As the 350 bus runs far more often from Ponte Gardena/Waidbruck to Ortisei (every ~ 30mins and takes ~ 30mins) than from Bolzano (every 2hrs at best sometimes 3hrs between services and takes 1hr) it obviously makes more sense to go to Ponte Gardena.

In addition the 350 sometimes goes from BRESSANONE/BRIXEN to Ortisei

e.g.

Munich-Bressanone-Ponte Gardena

With this connection the train arrives at Ponte Gardena at

11:39 , 13:39 ,15:39

The bus departs

11:57 , 13:57 , 15:57

Bressanone/Brixen connections are not so often but one service

Arrives Bressanone/Brixen 12:55

Bus departs Bressanone 13:23 school days 13:32 others.

The 170 bus also runs from Bolzano to Ortisei but also runs every 2hrs and takes 1h15

Going to Bolzano the train arrives at

11:29 , 13:29: 15:29 - the 350 bus departs 3 mins before the train arrives

The 170 bus departs

12:10 14:10 16:10 and takes 1h15

so a 40minute wait and a 1h15 journey

TRAINS

German National rail www.bahn.de operate 5 direct services daily from Munich to Verona.

All these services stop at various places in Italy including Bressanone/Brixen and Bolzano.

You can book online up to 92 days in advance to get discounts. Discounted fare Munich to Bressanone or Bolzano is €39

BUSES

Simply use http://www.sii.bz.it/en to do a "FROM/TO" search or simply click on "Timetables as PDF" and look at the 350 and 170 directly

GOING TO STOCKHOLM it might be just as easy to go back to Munich on the direct train.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Verona
Verona
Province of Verona, Italy
Bressanone
Bressanone
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
13,108 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking home base in Dolomites without car

NOTE:

It is not possible to get an online ticket price solution from Munich to Ponte Gardena/Waidbruck

A number of years ago the Italians www.trenitalia.com threw all the toys out of the pram in a dispute of the German Cross-border services (despite the fact that they operate very few if any cross border Interctiy services across any of their borders).

As such the Italians stopped cooperating with the Germans on ticketting/info/services even going as far as omitting these services from their online timetable as if they didn't exist.

Therefore when you require a change from a German to Italian train simply book the "German" part on www.bahn.de

Taking the Bressanone/Brixen to Ponte Gardena/Waidbruck train as an example this is only a local Regional train and the connection with the German service means you have 30mins at the station so plenty of time to purchase your ticket. The onward journey is only 15mins.

The single ticket from Bressanone to Ponte Gardena is €2.50

Please Note in Italy on Regional trains you must stamp your Regional ticket in one of the yellow boxes at the station/platform prior to boarding to validate it. Failure to do so will result in a €50 on the spot fine.

Regional tickets are for a specific Regional journey e.g. Bressanone to Ponte Gardena - but not fixed to a specific day, date or Regional train.

BOLZANO TO MUNICH ??

Should you choose to fly from Munich to Stockholm then again simply use www.bahn.de to book the german direct train to Munich

TRAIN TIMETABLES

All the Train examples given are based on the current timetables. These generally change around April/May although generally the Munich-Veorna services haven't changed for years.

www.bahn.de will still show an overall timetable solution to Ponte Gardena/Waidbruck

BUS TIMETABLES

Bus timetables normally change in June but to be honest again the 350 and 170 hardly ever change.

You can use www.sii.bz.it to also show you a fare solution using the "FROM/TO"

PLACE NAMES

Just to point out the use of names.

This part of Italy "Süd Tirol" used to be part of Austria up until 1919. Since the 1970s it is an Autonomous state within Italy.

Both German and Italian are official languages. 70% speak German (and about the same wish they were still Austrian ;-) ).

YOu will find official material in both German and Italian including place names and for instance bus timetables.

Just pointing this out as the timetables on SII have the German names on one side and Italian on the other and it may have been confusing.

In addition in the Val Gardena there is also the local dialect of Ladin. You will see that the 350 & 170 are also available with Ladin names

You should alsO be aware that Val Gardena is not a place but refers to the whole valley.

The town often internationally referred to as Val Gardena is Selva/Wolkenstein

just examples of Italian - German - Ladin

VAL GARDENA - GRÖDEN - GHERDËINA

Ponte Gardena - Waidbruck - Pruca

Bressanone - Brixen - Persenon

Selva - Wolkenstein - Sëlva

Ortisei - St Ulrich - Urtijëi

Bolzano - Bozen - Bulsen

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Bressanone
Bressanone
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Tirol
Tirol
Austrian Alps, Austria
Austria
Austria
Europe
Val Gardena
Val Gardena
Bozen
Bozen
1,180 Reviews
Bolzano, Italy
spokane, wa
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking home base in Dolomites without car

to giftzwerg,

many thanks for your detailed and complete information on getting to the dolomites. i've looked at many of your comments by going directly to your posts page. you are an expert! from your information, i've definitely decided to fly into munich instead of italy, though i'm disappointed i cannot get the discount on the train ticket online. and we have changed our trip dates from late june to mid-september after reading about how many other visitors also plan to be there in june. we plan on going hut to hut during the week, then coming down into a village friday and saturday night to avoid the weekend hikers. suggestions on a quiet village in val gardena? we're not much into the tourist excitement.

the lists of rifugios i've seen online mostly give just the phone numbers.

would you say there are enough refugios still open in september that we don't need to reserve in advance, freeing up our choices of trails daily? thanks! -akua from spokane washington

9. Re: Hiking home base in Dolomites without car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, March 09, 2014