We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip north of italy

Sliema, Malta
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
road trip north of italy

hey,

my gf and i were thinking of traveling to the north of italy for a week next may 2013 we ,were thinking of planning a holiday to the north of italy, and trying to include Bolzano, Treviso, Venice, Verona ,Milan. never been to any of these places and im open to suggestions if anyone has any other places to visit close to these places ( even neighbouring countries). our interests are mainly renting a car just to drive along scenic routes, have places where we can park and discover the place on foot, enjoy good food, have activities to do even regarding nature and stuff spend the night in different places or be based in one location and travel during the day. if anyone could recommend anything or just give out some advice if even regarding the time of year to go would be greatly appreciated. thanks a lot

Edited: 12:17 pm, August 14, 2012
Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,285 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip north of italy

We spent 3 days just outside of Cormons and LOVED it. Gorgeous scenery, fantastic food and super friendly people. I would suggest renting a cottage at La Subida just outside of town. Very near there (and all over the Colio region) there are lots of well-marked walking and biking trails.

Margreid, Südtirol...
Level Contributor
71 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip north of italy

That's a big area with lots of possibilities! A few quick thoughts:

Bolzano: Of course, the Iceman (www.iceman.it). May is wonderful for wine events along the Weinstrasse (Wine Road): suedtiroler-weinstrasse.it/english/latest-ne…

Treviso: I love Treviso; it's a wonderful town. But don't miss Valdobbiadene and Conegliano for good food and Prosecco!

In general: May is a month full of German holidays, which means more Germans on tour, lots of them in Northern Italy. So google "german holidays 2013" and be prepared to book rooms in advance on those days.

niagara
Level Contributor
444 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip north of italy

We toured the Veneto for a week in Fall 2010 with a rental car basing ourselves in Padua before staying in Venice for a week.

During that first week, we went to, of course,Padua(which we loved!)Treviso, Castelfranco Veneto, Lake Garda twice-once to Malcesine(and up Mt.Baldo), then Sirmione, Desenzano & Peschiera. We then went to towns in Udine province(husband's family). Really enjoyed this road trip-it was a lot of fun, driving was easy and scenery was gorgeous, particularly in the Eugenean Hills and of course, Lake Garda. Lots of natural beauty and good walks in Lake Garda but we found most of the small towns we visited had much natural & historic charm and were fun to explore on foot.

For us, Padua was the perfect location to stay-it was convenient to other towns/cities in the Veneto plus we loved returning there for a relaxing dinner every night where we could walk to restaurants and enjoy some wine.

I would recommend learning some Italian as the further you go away from tourist centres the less likely are you to find English being spoken but my non-Italian speaking companions had little difficulty being understood with hand gestures and pointing to what they wanted.

I wouldn't suggets staying in too many places since you end up spending your time packing and unpacking which is no fun. Look to stay a minimum of 3-4 nights in one place.

When it was time to go to Venice it was a quick drive from Padua(30 mins) to drop off the rental car. Venice, of course, is magical, wonderful and totally walkable.

Have fun planning! Get yourself some good guide books and figure out what areas interest you most.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,014 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip north of italy

As Hukari said end of May is German/Bavarian school holidays. Although Süd Tirol is popular the Lake Garda area is where many flock to. The Germans form by far the largest majority of visitors to Lake Garda. Whole area popular with Northern Europeans. During May half term it is overrun. I have been the week before and relatively quiet (been going to Lake Garda end of May for the last 20years)

The Bavarian and Baden Württemburg school holidays cover 21 May to 1st June 2013.

These holidays also affect the traffic on the A22.

If intending to go into the Dolomites area from Bolzano bear in mind that for much of May they are "shut". Yes the mountains are still there but you can find a distinct lack of services. At the end of the ski season around 15th April the lifts shut down as does everything associated with it (mountain restaurants etc). Many smaller Hotels, B&B, restaurants and tourist related businesses shut. For much of the Dolomites the "Summer" season doesn't get underway until mid-june.

Here's the lift operations for this summer in Val Gardena

http://www.valgardena.it/en/lifts/page65.html

With the exception of a couple of lifts out of Ortisei in May the huge majority of lifts don't open until June.

The Val Gardena area has the longest "summer season" when it comes to lift opening times

5. Re: road trip north of italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, August 20, 2013