We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay in alto adige with good chance of snow

Which Bolzano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malta
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Place to stay in alto adige with good chance of snow

Hi all,

can anyone recommend any places/hotels to stay in near Bolzano with a good chance of snow during December (week before Xmas). Mainly we want to visit Xmas Markets, do some skiing (beginner) and even have the option to visit Innsbruck in Austria.

Will be hiring a car so don't need to be too close to main markets. Also, during this time car hire companies in Treviso/Bologna airports will still hire cars without winter tyres?!

Malta
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stay in alto adige with good chance of snow

Ok let's try and make things simpler, what places would you suggest, Vipiteno or Val Gardena?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stay in alto adige with good chance of snow

Hi,

If I were going and wanted a chance to see snow (never guaranteed, I know you know this) I'd pick the Val Gardena, not Vipiteno. We stayed at a nice B&B in St. Christina, Val Gardena, the Garni Ariston.

www.garniariston.com

In addition to the Christmas markets in Vipiteno, be sure to visit Brixen/Bressanone.

brixen.org/en/…6-christmas-market.html

weihnachtsmarkt-sterzing.com/alpenadvent.php

bolzano.net/photos/christmas-market-vipiteno…

We visited Innsbruck's Christmas/Advent markets in 2010. Absolutely wondeful trip. We had planned on visiting the markets in Vipiteno and Brixen, but didn't have the time. We've been to both towns a couple of times during trips in October, but didn't make it for the markets in 2010. Hopefully there'll be a "next time"!

worldisround.com/articles/362536/index.html

Paul

Malta
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to stay in alto adige with good chance of snow

Thanks Paul for the info, I will have a look at Val Gardena and see what other accomodation I can find, however Garni Ariston seems to have some lovely rooms.

If there are any other places in alto adige which have better chance of snow than the Val Gardena please let me know, I'm open to any town having a car... Being from Malta, we love snow! Been to the black forest in december and it snowed quite a lot and it was wonderful! :)

Edited: 1:15 am, August 10, 2012
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,007 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to stay in alto adige with good chance of snow

.......... and make sure your car has winter tyres. They do not come as standard in Italy with car hire.

I fit my winter tyres already late October. It is law in Germany and Austria.

I also permanently carry chains.

Stupidly in Italy it is not the law. Where there is Regional laws they often state chains or winter tyres - which in itself is again stupid. Anybody who has to cope with this knows that you can easily continue to drive at 100km+ in snow with winter tyres whereas chain you can't really go faster than ~ 20km.

Chains are banned on Austrian and German Autobahns as winter tyres even in quite severe weather suffice. Only when the weather is severe will the police give the allowance to use chains on the Autobahns

Nobody can predict the weather. It would be foolhardy to even consider driving in snow or icy conditions without them.

If you drove into Austria without winter tyres and the roads were snowy or icy it would not just be extremely foolhardy but you would be breaking the law and a danger to other motorists.

The basic fine for not having suitable tyres is €35. If you are deemed to be a danger to other motorists the fine is up to €5000.

Driving too slowly hindering other traffic also incurs a large fine. If involved in an accident regardless of "who's to blame" you will get apportioned a higher part of the blame for failing to adequately equip your car for the prevailing weather conditions e.g. your stopping distance and ability to avoid accidents/danger is highly impaired.

The Dolomites had a poor early season as far as snow is concerned last year but that isn't generally the norm. I have a short ski holiday every year just before Xmas. A few years ago I went to Val Gardena ~ 19th December. Snow everywhere and also icy roads. My Hotel was in the Dantecerpies area. Despite having winter tyres and the roads being gritted because of the sub-zero temperatures I wasn't even able to drive up a small incline to my hotel. Had to put on Snow chains for the last 20metres.

When I went into the hotel the first thing the owner said was "don't you have winter tyres"

This has happened to me a number of times in a number of ski resorts. The main flatter roads in a ski resort may be cleared but sometimes smaller access roads not so much.

Don't also assume that snow will be cleared. That same holiday there was a heavy snowfall overnight and when we came to leave snow all the way back to the Autostrada and all the way into Austria on the A22

As I said nobody can predict the weather. My Avatar is when I was climbing up the Pyramidenspitz in Austria in mid October. Snow up to my knees at 1100m

Val Gardena is at 1500m+

Malta
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to stay in alto adige with good chance of snow

I've read in other forums that winter tires are not mandatory in Italy which doesn't make sense as you said, and I'll be traveling to Austria so I definitely need them! Most probably will end up with a nice bill for extra winter tires, will check with hire companies before booking...

Will look into Val Gardena and choose a nice hotel to stay in then.

Thanks a lot for your valuable advice! :)

Edited: 12:39 pm, August 10, 2012
Malta
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to stay in alto adige with good chance of snow

just contacted autoeurope.eu to check regarding winter tires from different car hire companies in Italy and it seems that there is no option for winter tires in Italy! Is this true?!

Does anyone have any expierence with car hire in Italy during winter?

7. Re: Place to stay in alto adige with good chance of snow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 21, 2013