We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bolzano to Munich by train

Which Bolzano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Bolzano to Munich by train

I'll be traveling from Bolzano to Munich by train on Saturday, Sept. 1, after a week in the Val Gardena. When looking at a couple of rail sites today I noticed warnings, in German, of disruptions due to construction from Brenner to Innsbruck. Of course I don't speak German but was alarmed that there was any warning at all. Does anyone know anything about this? Have you experienced any difficulties?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,007 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bolzano to Munich by train

I contacted Austrian rail www.oebb.at a few weeks ago about this subject and they informed me that the Verona-Munich Intercity services should not be affected. Only the local regional services. However it appears now that they are. On the Austrian rail maintenance site it appears the Intercity trains are now listed

Hope this works

he following is a link to the Austrian rail maintenance page. If you click on the 2 buses below Innsbruck it gives the info.

"Züge" means train and then the train numbers affected with dates are displayed.

fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/help.exe/dn…

Just checked www.bahn.de for a booking for 1st September and now all the Verona-Munich Intercity services state

EC 88: Brennero/Brenner - Innsbruck Hbf: Bauarbeiten. Strecke zwischen Brennero/Brenner und Innsbruck Hbf unterbrochen. Ersatzverkehr eingerichtet. In Innsbruck Anschluss an EC Richtung München. Bitte auf Durchsagen und Wegeleitung vor Ort achten. Durchgehende Beförderung (Zug-Bus-Zug) für mobilitätseingeschränkte Reisende und Fahrräder möglich

Which basically means that the rail link between Brenner and Innsbruck is disrupted. Substitute service (Bus) in place. Connection for EC service to Munich in Innsbruck. Please observe/take note of Announcements and directions at the station (Brenner or Innsbruck - depending which direction you are travelling)

Continued conveyance/Transfer (Train-bus.train) for travelers requiring assistance and bicycles is possible.

You won't be alone

Just book your ticket on www.bahn.de

You should be aware that the Austrians and Germans co-operate on all info/ticketting/services etc.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bolzano to Munich by train

This is invaluable information. Troubling but invaluable all the same. And to think we opted for the train over a car rental because of growing frustration with the horrible traffic on the autostrada between Verona and Brennero and around Munich. Just can't win sometimes.

Thank you.

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
745 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bolzano to Munich by train

Hello,

the disruption is because the Austian railway company are upgrading the Brenner stretch of the tracks, meaning that trains will be able to go more quickly along the route.

As I understand it the work is going to take about a year, and during the distruption there will be a replacement bus service. It will be a bit of a PIA while the work is being done, but as it is an Austrian enterprise I expect it will all be run extremely efficiently!

DD

Washington DC
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bolzano to Munich by train

Thank you. Even with the disruption the train is still superior to a car rental.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,007 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bolzano to Munich by train

Well a one-way rental drop off would cost you a lot (€350 with Avis). I've made the journey 30 or 40 times in my own car (mostly 20 years of holidaying on Lake Garda/Lazise but also skiing in Selva/Canazei) and actually rarely takes me more than 4hrs to Affi. Bad times have been travelling on German bank holidays/school holidays with the bottle necks at Sterzing/Vipiteno (start of Italian Autostrada tolls) and the Europabrücke Toll in Austria.

Edited: 5:55 am, June 14, 2012
Washington DC
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bolzano to Munich by train

Driving difficult for us in any case because my husband just had part of his shoulder replaced (yes, that is possible now) after a bad fall and I'm not much for high-speed driving.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
12 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bolzano to Munich by train

Following up on my original post about rail disruptions between Brennero and Innsbruck---has anyone actually traveled the route and been transferred by bus from Brennero to Innsbruck ? Any report on how the transfer was handled?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
642 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bolzano to Munich by train

I just got back from there on Friday. Munich to Verona (passing through Innsbruck, Bolzano, Trento etc) was straight through, not even a change of trains. On the return, Bolzano to Innsbruck (I stopped in Innsbruck but the train was bound for Munich) was straight through, no disruptions, no stoppage. I took ICE on both legs and bought my tickets in Munich, and Bolzano on the return.

Edited: 8:00 pm, July 22, 2012
Sydney
Level Contributor
70 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bolzano to Munich by train

I'm planning ahead (for June 2013) and am a little worried at the sound of the disruptions. My plans (long in advance but I like to research all the options, bit at a time over a long period) are to travel from Munich to Bolzano by train, stay about 3 days in Bolzano and then take the train to Seefeld (via Innsbruck, presumably), stay some time there, then catch another train to Ljubljiana. It seems this is all do-able but I am astonished at the number of train changes involved in each leg of the journey and wonder if I'm looking at the right site. Can anybody suggest the best site/s for researching/booking? Also, are these trips (or some of them) trips I should book in advance? Money is an object and I need to stay within a budget but if a train that avoided most of these transfers was available at not too much more, I'd certainly consider it. Also it looks like we might have to fly out from either Frankfurt or Milan, so will need to catch the train from Ljubljiana back to Milan or up to Frankfurt. Milan would be my preference but, once again, there look like a lot of changes involved whereas it seems there are less with Frankfurt. Any suggestions would be most helpful, as I have little experience travelling on trains in Europe. Thanks in advance.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,754 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bolzano to Munich by train

Don't know what website you're looking at. Using the best connections, there are no changes from Munich to Bolzano, one to Seefeld in Tyrol, two from there to Ljbljana (only one at night) and none from there to Frankfurt.

See reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/en? on this year's times - too early to look for 2013. To save money, you should book on that site 92 days in advance. Use www.oebb.at for Seefeld-Ljubljana.