We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can anyone help with my memory loss

Which Bolzano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
melbourne
Level Contributor
143 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
can anyone help with my memory loss

i was a student in Innsbruck in 1983-84 and I have fond memories of being taken into the sud tyrol area and walking between villages eating hot chestnuts and drinking copious amounts of red wine....can anyone advise me if this happens in October as I would love to take my boyfriend down this memory lane....what was the german name Heisse marone comes into my memory bank...as are there tours available to do this where do i look

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,432 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can anyone help with my memory loss

In German Heisse (or Heiße) Maroni (used a lot instead of the more correct Marone(n) - plural). Do you mean also hot red wine (Glühwein)

Really more a christmas winter/cold weather thing.

Do you know where abouts in Südtirol?? Could be as close as Vipiteno/Sterzing

melbourne
Level Contributor
143 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: can anyone help with my memory loss

Yes Sterzing certainly comes back to me....I just remember torkerln...spelled wrong.....i thought we did it in the fall(autumn-Herbst) time because i remember tree colours and red wine,,,not hot.....i do remember Gluhwein on the schipiste) thanks for the Sterzing ......i can always drag the boyfriend there....

Brooklyn, New York
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: can anyone help with my memory loss

You are probably thinking of Dogolin, (sp?), which takes place in the vineyards and farms above Bolzano in October.

My understanding is that It is basically a harvest festival celebrating the new wines, and that the farms and vineyards involved only serve food raised or grown on site.

The meal starts with the pairing of new wine that tastes sweet like grape juice and roasted chestnuts. Each course that follows is served with a progressively older wine.

You should definitely go again. It is pretty fantastic

melbourne
Level Contributor
143 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: can anyone help with my memory loss

Yes this is it...i am sure....thanks will get on to this ....cheers

Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
753 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: can anyone help with my memory loss

Hello, sorry I just found this thread!

The correct spelling is "Törggelen" and refers to a tradition in the autumn in South Tyrol where local farms (known as a Hof) will open up a "pop-up" restaurant and serve the new wine along with dishes such as home-produced pork, Sauerkraut and dumplings.

It has now become well known in south Germany and bus tours come down, but you can also book privately into the smaller Hofs.

For more info: suedtirol.info/South_Tyrol/Food_Wine/N-1021_…

DD

melbourne
Level Contributor
143 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: can anyone help with my memory loss

You are magic.......that is it......danke shchon, cheers from down under....

7. Re: can anyone help with my memory loss

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, October 01, 2012