We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

have car should I stay in bolzano or castelrotto

Philly
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Topic
have car should I stay in bolzano or castelrotto

I want to stay 2 days in the Dolomites. Will be driving up from Chiiggia- want to stay in an area that best defines the region. These two towns seem to offer similar qualities- which would be more central to day trips? any recommendations for day trips from either place.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
13,170 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: have car should I stay in bolzano or castelrotto

It really depends where you would like to do you daytrips (also when). If you stay in Bolzano you are central to doing 2 trips - one east through the Dolomites (e.g. Val Gardena) and 1 Northwest over Merano. Much depends how much you want to drive.

e.g.

As a day round trip

1)

Bolzano to Merano - stop have a look around - then from Merano head to San Leonardo in Passiria then take the Passo di Monte Giovo/Jaufen Pass over Racines/Ratschings to Vipiteno/Sterzing (gave the Italian and German names) - stop in Sterzing look around and return to Bolzano either on the SS508 over Sarentino or on the Autostrada if you'd rather get back quicker.

Other direction

2) Bolzano - Autostrada to Ponte Garda - Selva Gardena - Canazei - Vigo di Fassa - Nova Levante - Bolzano (about 2hrs driving time)

In each case much depends on how much driving you wish to do.

e.g. case 2) you might decide you want to go to Cortina from Selva. This would mean that your driving time alone would be over 4hrs

In case 1) it is well over 2hrs driving time (even using the Autobahn on return to Bolzano) but Merano is quite a large town and Vipiteno/Sterzing is a nice small town so stopping off in these places for a couple of hours will fill up your day

Purely driving case 1) you might consider Bolzano - Merano - Bormio - Ponte di Legno - Cles - from Cles either to Mezzo corona and return on the Autostrada or over the SS42 (over Villini di Alpe) - both well over 5hrs driving time

Mentioned in this post
Bolzano
Bolzano
Province of South Tyrol, Italy
Val Gardena
Val Gardena
1,948 Reviews
Selva di Val Gardena, Italy
Merano
Merano
Vipiteno
Vipiteno
Garda
Garda
Province of Verona, Italy
Canazei
Canazei
Province of Trento, Italy
Vigo
Vigo
Province of Pontevedra, Spain
Bormio
Bormio
Province of Sondrio, Italy
Selva di Val...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
815 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: have car should I stay in bolzano or castelrotto

Hi, as you've said you want to see the Dolomites, of your two options I'd say Castelrotto is better. You are nearer the mountains and (if you don't want to ) won't drive long distances to see great scenery.

Bolzano is a lovely city, and if you're coming all that way you should spend some time there too, either on the way up or back.

DD

Mentioned in this post
Castelrotto
Castelrotto
Bolzano
Bolzano
3. Re: have car should I stay in bolzano or castelrotto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 28, 2010