We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Porta di Savona

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
542 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Porta di Savona

I stumbled across this restaurant while searching online. It sounds fantastic! Also a bonus that they pull out the stops on Sundays (we'll be there over a weekend). There was a website listed for it, portadisavona.com, but I think it's incorrect--can't pull anything up. Anyone know of it? Know of a website?

Rome,Italy
Level Contributor
526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Porta di Savona

Hmmm...sipping too many hurricanes down there?

Here is their website,although it is in Italian.

www.portodisavona.com/portodisavona.htm

It's good,I've eaten there...nice atmosphere,you girls will have fun.Here is another place to check out.Take a look at their website,and especially click on the "Turin Tour" tab. http://www.bicerin.it/eng/

caffè al bicerin is a classic way to have coffee up there...sorry,no chickory,just chocolate with the coffee.It's heavenly!!

The piazza is close to the river.There is a small road there called Via Murazzi del Po.During the day it is all canoe/kayak/sculling clubs.At night,the place is transformed into one long disco/club scene.I have to say that,at times,it can get out of hand,and you really have to keep an eye out for non-italians who will rob you.Having said that,it's a blast!Try and meet some nice italian guys earl on to show you around there...they will protect you,for sure.I LOVE Torino!!

Have fun!

Ciao,Michael

Asti, Italy
Level Contributor
919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Porta di Savona

Its called Porto di Savona and its on Piazza Veneto where I originally recommended parking on your one day whistlestop. Closed Mondays, quite reasonable and well thought of. Don’t know if they have a website, very few restaurants in Italy have one.

Have you found a place to stay overnight in Turin?

How are your trip plans shaping up? I see you will be in Amsterdam as well, going to be a big blast through Europe LOL

Asti, Italy
Level Contributor
919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Porta di Savona

Ciao Tara,

I didn’t see Michael’s reply when I posted mine; we are not trying to compete ;-)

Thinking about it I have tried Porto di Savona but it didn’t leave a lasting impression, however the other places I mentioned are closed on Sunday. You might want to think about the Imbarco del Re da Perosino on Viale Virgilio 53, behind one of the royal palaces on the Po river (just down from the Ponte Umberto) very romantic place, you can eat in the park in summer.

And as M says don’t forget a Café Bicerin while you are in Turin, which was the pioneer city in Europe for chocolate industry. For your Café Bicerin try Barrati & Milano on Pza Castello, near the SW corner, one of Turin’s venerable coffee shops and with some of the best ice cream in Italy too ( I love Bicerin poured over ice-cream as a chocolate liquor sauce).

Michael if you ever visit I will be sure to have a bottle of Bicerin ready!

Saluti a tutti

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
542 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Porta di Savona

Thanks guys! UnAmericano---I think it would be more appropriate to say that I'm trying to dodge hurricanes than drink them!! haha. I'd be glad to bring you some mix if you're craving one, though! They're fabulous!!!

I appreciate the input! Yes, I suppose it makes quite a difference if I spell the restaurant correctly!!!

Thanks again!

Ciao!

Tara

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
542 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Porta di Savona

I didn't read all of the posts before I made my last one! Thanks for all the great recommendations. I had come across Caffe Bicerin--it sounded divine. As does the chocolate coffee (I usually pass on the chicory...ew, coffee that tastes like tree bark, yuk. Actually, best coffee I've ever had I've gotten in Italy!!)

Yes, we have quite the European adventure planned! I think we'll be quite cultured and tired by the time we get on the plane to come home!

I did find a cute little B and B outside of Torino....Teresina. It wasn't reviewed anywhere on TA, and it took some creative digging to find, but looked charming and perfect. Hope it turns out okay. If anyone has heard of it and would advise against it, let me know!! I have plenty time to cancel.

Actually, I found this one place that would actually let you go out and milk a goat for the milk in your morning coffee. Heehee, I thought it would be loads of fun and a definite photo opportunity, but they were booked for that weekend. Ha, amazing what crazy novelties appeal to a group of girls!

Asti, Italy
Level Contributor
919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Porta di Savona

It looks quite charming and is close to Turin in the hills above the city, close to the Superga, please psot a review after you have stayed, I'm always on the look out for inexpensive places close to Turin

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
542 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Porta di Savona

Will do! Thanks for the info on the location. I mapped it with mappy.com, but for a person who hasn't a clue about the area, that really didn't do much for me. Glad to hear it's near Superga. That was definitely a place I wanted to check out.

Get answers to your questions about Turin