We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental companies in Italy (Turin)

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
229 reviews
Save Topic
car rental companies in Italy (Turin)

My two bosses are traveling to Turin for the 2 weeks in September. The car rental costs are pretty high, so I am researching some European based car rental companies: AutoEurope, Eurocar & Sixt. Has anyone ever heard of these? Are they any good? Any rants or raves about car rental companies in Italy? Thanks! Anne

Min
Stoke on Trent...
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental companies in Italy (Turin)

Sorry, Anne, I don't know the rental companies you mention but I did want to offer a cautionary word based on my experience with Hertz in Turin.

We collected a car from their Caselle airport branch and on the drive into the city it became apparent that there was an electrical problem (ie stuff wasn't working). We took the car into their downtown branch and they absolutely couldn't have cared less. So we phoned Hertz's UK office (through whom we'd made the booking) and their response was "if you're unhappy with the car, send a written complaint to us when you get home". After a bit of foot-stamping on my part, they grudgingly agreed to speak to the Turin Airport branch 'when they could find someone who spoke Italian'.

To cut a long story short, Hertz did nothing; instead, my husband spent the first few hours of our holiday testing the electrics, finding an auto spares shop and buying fuses without any Italian beyond 'please' and 'thank you'!

To add insult to injury, when we received the rental invoice in the post, we had been charged Hertz's 'Location Service Charge' (LSC) twice. Watch out for this! Apparently they can charge it on each and every transaction they make with you, even if it's all to do with the same rental. So we paid for the car (plus LSC) a month beforehand, then had to pay LSC a second time when we took out the extra insurance, which they only allow you to buy at the time of collecting the car.

To be fair to Hertz, we've rented from them elsewhere in the world and have always found their other branches efficient and friendly. I did manage to get a refund on the overcharge and a voucher for $15 to cover the cost of sorting out the faulty car. But - and this is just my opinion - I wouldn't rent from Hertz in Turin again.

Hope the trip goes well!

Get answers to your questions about Turin