We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to the Val Vigezzo from Orta San Giulio

Singapore
Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to the Val Vigezzo from Orta San Giulio

I have about two and a half days in Orta San Giulio next March. I may be able to lop off one day from another of my destination if a day trip to the Val Vigezzo is feasible.

I've been looking at the Trenitalia and Vigezzina websites for an idea of the schedules. I think I have only time for one town. Which is the better destination for nature and a pleasant stroll around town out of season: Malesco, Santa Maria Maggiore or Re?

Being this early in March, will there be flowers or will there still be snow? I live in the tropics and I'd love to see either.

I do have reservations about making this day trip. With the connections I have to make, I'm wondering if I have enough time for proper sightseeing. The last train that leaves Domodossola for Orta San Giulio on 12 Mar (day I entered for schedules) is at 7.02 pm. I guess that would leave me with five hours or so for most destinations in the Val Vigezzo.

Would appreciate some suggestions/advice on whether it's a day trip that's worth doing. (I'd really love to go on the narrow-gauge train and see the valley, though.)

Many thanks!

Dublin
Level Contributor
706 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to the Val Vigezzo from Orta San Giulio

Looks like you have most of this figured out :-)

Just one thing you might want to consider, while the trip is certainly possible in one day, it would be very rushed and, in early March, the days are still relatively short.

Maybe you could break it down by staying in Domodossola instead of Orta the night before - that way you can get the the vigezzina train first thing in the morning, giving you a more relaxed start to the day.

Also, apart from the stretch between Orta and Omegna, which is along the lake, the rest of the journey to Domodossola is rather dull.

In March it is very unlikely that there will still be any snow and there should be plenty of lovely spring flowers.

Hope you enjoy, whatever you decide to do.

Singapore
Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to the Val Vigezzo from Orta San Giulio

Thanks! Just the extra pointers that I need. If I were spending more than a few days in the area, staying in Domodossola would be ideal to get an early start. Unfortunately, I'm not really up for changing hotels in the midst of a short three-day visit. If I were to do the trip, it would most likely be a day trip.

3. Re: Day trip to the Val Vigezzo from Orta San Giulio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, January 03, 2014