We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport to Orta San Giulio from Milan

Rosemarkie, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Public transport to Orta San Giulio from Milan

What is currently the best way to go by public transport from central Milan to Orta San Giulio?

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport to Orta San Giulio from Milan

train from Milano Centrale to Orta Miasino then taxi.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,117 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport to Orta San Giulio from Milan

With luggage, take a taxi from the Orta Miasino train station to Orta San Giulio.

Without luggage, enjoy the Trenino di Orta. The Trenino di Orta connects the train station to the town, 2,50 euro and 4,00 euro return.

http://treninodiorta.it/

Vagabonda

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport to Orta San Giulio from Milan

@Vagabonda - the trenino does NOT run a schedule service from the Orta Miasino Train station to Orta. Maybe they would do it but as it would be a special 'just-for-me' service needing to be pre-booked, I am sure it would cost a lot more than €2.5-€4 euro.

Taxis are VERY hard to find at Miasino station. I would get the hotel I am staying in to come and collect me.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,117 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport to Orta San Giulio from Milan

I confirmed before posting and the Trenino di Orta connects the train station to the town many times a day at the rate indicated, 339.5313589.

The Trenino di Orta would only be practical as a day trip from Milan, not if you were staying in Orta since luggage isn’t permitted.

Vagabonda

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport to Orta San Giulio from Milan

Maybe I am 'slow' but i have checked the trenino di orta site and cannot find the route from Orta Miasino train station even under the "Special Routes" section perhaps you can show me where it is as we may be giving incorrect information....I cannot see why they would do this route especially as luggage isn't permitted...people arriving at a train station generally have luggage as they are visiting a tourist area...

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,117 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transport to Orta San Giulio from Milan

They would only do this route if they were day tripping to Orta San Giulio as many do from Milano and from Lake Maggiore.

You might call the Trenino di Orta directly.

Vagabonda

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transport to Orta San Giulio from Milan

I will e-mail them so were are sure we are giving up-to-date info.

BTW, Day trippers from Lake Maggiore would be much better to take the daily bus from Stresa at 10.00 that arrives directly to Piazza Prarondo by the Crazy Golf course in Orta San Giulio. A lot less hassle and wonderful route over Mottarone.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,117 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transport to Orta San Giulio from Milan

I am sure the information is accurate – I just called again and confirmed that the Trenino di Orta circles frequently and continuously throughout the day from the train station at Orta Miasino to the town for 2,50 euro and 4,00 euro return.

And yes, the bus would be more convenient from Stresa to Orta San Giulio.

…blogspot.com/2009/04/fyi-using-bus-system-i…

Vagabonda

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
47 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public transport to Orta San Giulio from Milan

I am also interested in visiting Orta San Giulio in a couple of weeks. We only arrive into Milan on the Thursday morning and wanted to visit Orta San Giulio that day before our friends arrive into Milan that evening to join us. Basically what I want to know is what is the quickest route from Central Milan to Orta San Giulio and what time is the latest train? I don't want to pay over €100 for a taxi. Would it be worthwhile for us if we couldn't leave Milan until mid-day. I have tried to look up train times on the website and it just doesn't seem to work for me. Thanks for any help in advance.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,190 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Public transport to Orta San Giulio from Milan

Try again with the website http://www.fsitaliane.it/homepage_en.html entering 'from' Milan and 'to' Orta-Miasino. Note that the fares will be NA online more than seven days in advance as these are Regional trains with no reserved seats and you should buy tickets in Italy, but the schedules are there until December.

As the minimum journey time is nearly two hours and the train station is some way from the village as discussed throughout this thread, this doesn't look like a viable half-day trip to me.