We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport from Milan Bergamo to Orta San Giulio

Which Orta San Giulio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
2 posts
Save Topic
Public Transport from Milan Bergamo to Orta San Giulio

We are going to a wedding in Orta San Giulio in July and are flying into Milan Bergamo. As we would rather not hire a car can anyone advise us of the best means of public transport from Bergamo to O s G and also of journey times and costs

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
11,987 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transport from Milan Bergamo to Orta San Giulio

The easiest would be:

- shuttle bus from airport to Milan's central station (takes about an hour);

- train from Milan to Orta-Miasino (changing at Novara), hourly service - see www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp… (takes about 2 hours).

Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transport from Milan Bergamo to Orta San Giulio

Thank You for replying.

Looking at the time to get from airport to O s G by public transport, we may have to reconsider the car hire.

How long does it take to drive from Bergamo to O s G

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,121 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transport from Milan Bergamo to Orta San Giulio

1.5 hours according to viamichelin.com

London
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transport from Milan Bergamo to Orta San Giulio

We are doing the same trip and I've been looking up trains on Trenitalia but it says I can't purchase them. EG: Milan to Novara is €4.20 on the regional train (2nd class) - is that the price I'll pay if I bought tickets at the station? Is there a standard fee for that route or will the prices go up closer to the time?

I am guessing that I'll need to buy tickets at the station for each leg of the journey - can anyone advise?

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,987 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Transport from Milan Bergamo to Orta San Giulio

You can buy one ticket for your entire trip, and regional train fares are the same regardless of when you buy them.

London
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Transport from Milan Bergamo to Orta San Giulio

How will I do that FF? Will I need to buy them at a ticket machine at the first station?

I have worked out I need:

Bergamo - Milan Central

Milan Central - Novara

Novara - Orta San Guilio

Thanks for your help - I'm travelling with my husband and elderly parents so I want to be 100% sure what I'm doing. If I was on my own I wouldn't be so paranoid! ;)

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,987 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Transport from Milan Bergamo to Orta San Giulio

Right. Either at vending machines (I believe Bergamo station has them - use the yellow ones with multilingual touchscreen, not the smaller, grey ones that only take cash) or at the ticket window.

According to the Trenitalia website, the fare on regional trains all the way is 8 or 8.85 euro, depending on trains you select. Note that in some cases you change at Milan's Porta Garibaldi station, in which case you'll have to walk and take escalators from the main concourse to the underground station to catch the train to Novara.

Stresa, Italy
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Public Transport from Milan Bergamo to Orta San Giulio

FF didn't mention that Orta Miasino train station is in the village of Miasino and NOT in the village of Orta san Giulio which is actually almost 2 kilometres from Miasino station! Bear this in mind!!!

The station is very small and you will NOT find a taxi waiting outside.

9. Re: Public Transport from Milan Bergamo to Orta San Giulio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:40 am, December 10, 2009