We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turin to Bra or Alba by train or rent car at airport?

USA
Level Contributor
105 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Turin to Bra or Alba by train or rent car at airport?

We will be arriving and departing from Turin Casselle and staying for a week in LaMorra. (will rent a car) Will have a few days in Turin at end of trip.

Trying to decide whether to take train to and from airport to Bra or to Alba since both are close to LaMorra. Bra has a few trains that do not require a change of trains but it appears all trains to/from Alba require a change either in Asti or Bra?

Another option would be just to rent our car at the airport and return it there also at end of trip, and then take cab into and out of Turin. Don't want to drive into the city.

Is it easy or difficult to get in and out of the airport from the rental car area?

Also, how difficult is it to find the car rental return area? We had a nightmare of a time finding the return at Malpensa (in the middle of the night) so I thought I would try to avoid a similar situation.

Would appreciate hearing from all you Piedmont experts. What would you recommend? We are getting "up in years" and I want to make this travel experience as stress free as possible.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Turin to Bra or Alba by train or rent car at airport?

It's many years since I rented and returned a car at Turin airport. But I don't remember it as being the slightest bit problematic. The only annoying thing is that when driving to the South you have to follow a huge arc on the autostrada to avoid going the direct way through Turin.

The airport bus takes around 45 minutes to get to Torino Porta Nuova station. So if you have more than 30 minutes wait for a train, then you would probably arrive in Bra by car before you had even left Turin on the train.

If you rent from Avis, you could rent at the airport and return the car in Bra quite close to the train station, which would save going right out to Turin airport on the wrong side of the city and coming back in.

USA
Level Contributor
105 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turin to Bra or Alba by train or rent car at airport?

Perlizia: Thank you for your prompt response to my inquiry. I had given this much thought today and decided to do exactly what you suggested. I am glad to see that your suggestion confirms what I had pretty much decided to do. I would assume there would be no problem getting a cab from the Bra car rental office to the train station .

I sincerely appreciate your time in responding to my inquiry.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,529 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Turin to Bra or Alba by train or rent car at airport?

I have no idea how easy it would be to get a cab in Bra for such a short distance.

However if there are two or more of you, just drop the others and luggage at the station in the rental car, and have a very easy stroll back to the station unencumbered after returning the car.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
677 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turin to Bra or Alba by train or rent car at airport?

Hi! I'd like to suggesto to have a look at topic "Why not visiting Turin?" and "Finally it's time to visit Torino" in Turin travel forum here on TA. Have a nice trip!

USA
Level Contributor
105 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turin to Bra or Alba by train or rent car at airport?

Perlizia: Since the train station and the car rental location are so close, should be no problem walking from one to the other.

I have obtained much helpful information from your many posts on this forum. Thanks again.

USA
Level Contributor
105 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turin to Bra or Alba by train or rent car at airport?

EMOrsterFire: I have already read that post but I will most definitely be reading it again. Much helpful information about Torino. We have been there once and loved it. Looking forward to a return visit.

7. Re: Turin to Bra or Alba by train or rent car at airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 08, 2013