We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Milan for the First Time

Perth
12 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to Milan for the First Time

My partner and I will be traveling to Milan for a short stay from the 25th Dec '14 - 28th Dec '14. I have book to stay at the Hotel Lido and just wanted to get some tips and information from anyone on the following;

1. Best way to get from the airport to the hotel. Keeping in mind we don't know the language or how to get around.

2. Any nice places to visit to eat during the days. We are on a strict budget so nothing too pricey.

3. Best way to get around during the day? Do we need to get day passes or anything for public transport and if so how much are they.

4. Anyone that has been during this time of the year what should we expect in terms of weather?

Anything else that you think we should do on our trip would be great.

Thank you in advance.

Jenny

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Milan for the First Time

Hi, I'm assuming you'll be arriving at Malpensa, if this is the case I would get the train from the airport to the Cadorna station and because you'll have luggage get a taxi from there to your hotel.

A day ticket for public transport which is valid 24 hours costs €4.50 the metro would be your best means of transport around Milan.

In December it will be very cold so you need to wear warm clothes and take a warm coat, the only problem is that it's cold outside and sometimes they overheat places inside.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
4,099 posts
1,767 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Milan for the First Time

Pay attention that some attraction could be closed on 25Th or on 26th

Milano
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Milan for the First Time

I do not know any place to eat close to your hotel, but may suggest these ones tried personally more then once:

close to Duomo

tripadvisor.it/Restaurant_Review-g187849-d14…

tripadvisor.it/Restaurant_Review-g187849-d10…

Close to Porta Venezia - Central Station

tripadvisor.it/Restaurant_Review-g187849-d89…

tripadvisor.it/Restaurant_Review-g187849-d17…

tripadvisor.it/Restaurant_Review-g187849-d23…

Many places are closed on 25-26th or have special menus in general more expensive.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,384 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Milan for the First Time

And of course the answers to most of your questions are already available on TripAdvisor at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187849-s1/Milan:Ital…

5. Re: Travelling to Milan for the First Time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 03, 2015