We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MilanoCard: Not Tourist Friendly

Gladbrook, Iowa
1 post
Save Topic
MilanoCard: Not Tourist Friendly

During my first few days in Milan, I thought it would be a good idea to purchase the MilanoCard so I could have a good first impression of the city. Well, just like any major metropolitan city, strikes have a tendency to happen and disrupt travel plans. This was my case...on day two of my stay in Milan, ATM (Milan's public transportation authority) decided to strike; thus, leaving me disabled and astray.

Where does MilanoCard fall into play? In their package they offer a 48 hour ATM travel ticket, but it becomes useless during a strike. The following day I went to see if they would extend my ATM travel card for another day, as I was only able to use it for 24 hours. Sounds like a reasonable and ethical proposal, right?

The response I got from the rather gruff and scowling MilanoCard representative at central station, was the complete opposite of sympathetic to the easily victimized tourist like myself...in fact no sympathy at all. I was told, "Nope, you would have to bring that up with ATM." (Keep in mind the ATM card is generic and there is no indication proving I purchased it from MilanoCard. To ATM I could be a scammer and just picked a card up from off the ground.)

The card was okay and I was able to use it a few times...but the service was unfriendly and rated a D-.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MilanoCard: Not Tourist Friendly

Strikes such as these are a regular fact of life for visitors to Italy. I would need more hands and feet if I tried to count the number of times I have been 'done over' in Italy and Greece by unannounced work stoppages putting my plans on hold. One reason, why I buy nothing like these 'passes' etc ever.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
58,726 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MilanoCard: Not Tourist Friendly

This is another good reason not to purchase such passes in the first place. I don't know of any transport supplier that will provide a refund or a new travel pass in the event of strikes. If MilanoCard were to provide a new pass they would have to pay for it themselves. As they weren't on strike, I can see why they ar enot very keen to do that!

Milano
Level Contributor
4,231 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MilanoCard: Not Tourist Friendly

The strike was announced almost a week before and in the rush hours the service was granted. In other European Countries (France, UK etc) strikes are less frequent but even worse in my opinion.

Altough I like Greece very much I think that its situation can not be compared to our, in any case I would hope that in case of strike the cards will extend their validity.

Level Contributor
1,302 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MilanoCard: Not Tourist Friendly

Strikea in italy are always announced at least one week before and the news is given on all local newspapers and official transport and touristic website. Plus, early in the morning and late in the e afternoon the service is always granted to let people go to work and come back.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,385 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MilanoCard: Not Tourist Friendly

To return to the topic, the OP felt that the attitude on part of the Milanocard staff wasn't exactly customer-friendly.

I could not agree more. After I made a couple of comments on this forum a while back, suggesting that the card may not be a good buy, I was approached privately by the Milanocard management, who threatened to sue me on libel charges!!

Florida, New York
Level Contributor
316 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MilanoCard: Not Tourist Friendly

Just got back and wanted to add that I had planned to purchase the Milano Card with the Malpensa Express tickets, as advertised on the website, the person I purchased the Malpensa Express tickets from at Malpensa was not at all helpful, really kind of mean and nasty to me and didn't know anything about the combo passes. At Cadorna Station I went to the ticket/info office which had an advertisement on the window for the Combo pass on it and they too didn't have any idea what I was asking for. In the end we didn't use the Metro as much as planned so it worked out and I was glad I didn't get the Milano Card, just buying the tickets at the machine was easy. But it was strange that I was unable to purchase something being advertised so much ?

7. Re: MilanoCard: Not Tourist Friendly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 25, 2015