We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire Recommendations Malpensa Airport Please

London, UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire Recommendations Malpensa Airport Please

Hi everyone

We will be arriving at Malpensa airport and need to hire a car to take us and our two children into the Alps (just over the border into France).

I'm sorry to say we've had poor experiences with some of the smaller car hire companies in Italy on a number of occasions.

Can anyone recommend a good quality reliable company who will provide our car efficiently, give us the car we have booked, and not rip us off afterwards with fictitious damage? We have made the mistake of booking with some of the cheaper companies in the past and really need to avoid these problems - with two kids and a mountain journey, we need a decent car and a good company to deal with!

Thanks anyone who can help.

Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,188 reviews
from $160.70*
Lake Como Day Tour, Bellagio or...
1,444 reviews
from $98.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Milan Half-Day Sightseeing Tour
3,781 reviews
from $86.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Small-Group Milan...
1,108 reviews
from $87.20*
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,452 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire Recommendations Malpensa Airport Please

Contact www.auto-europe.co.uk

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Be aware of traffic restrictions and ZTL areas in Italy roninrome.com/transportation/driving-italy

Regional info www.italia.it/en/home.html

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,573 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire Recommendations Malpensa Airport Please

Personally, I have had great misfortune with Hertz at Malpensa, and consistent, repeated excellent service with Avis. The two pick-up offices and their parking areas are within a few steps of each other.

Toronto
Level Contributor
8 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire Recommendations Malpensa Airport Please

Sadly, though I do not have a recommendation for you, I would caution you not to assume that the problems you have had were because the company you previously used was small. I had problems a few years ago with Hertz in Frankfurt, Germany - they literally crawled under the car to inspect it and told me I had damage on the underside, which was ridiculous. I had to report them to Hertz Corp HQ in the USA, and wait for 6 weeks, before the claim was dropped for its stupidity. (It helped that Hertz is also my company's corp preferred vendor, and I had started the rental for the business part of my trip. I told them I'd make our travel department aware of the issue.)

London, UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire Recommendations Malpensa Airport Please

Thanks all for your helpful replies.

Roadgard, I've read a number of people recommending Avis so I am heading towards booking with them, thank you.

Mastimastimasti, that's the type of thing that scares me. How can car hire companies get away with this sort of thing?? We've had unsafe child seats, smaller cars than what we've paid for, and ridiculous charges for fuel. We dropped a car at Catania airport last year and my husband had to argue with the man in the office to get him to check the car over and sign our paperwork - there were several rows breaking out in the car park with people being told that pre-existing damage was new. It shouldn't have to be that stressful, should it?

UK
Level Contributor
106 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire Recommendations Malpensa Airport Please

Hello

Please could anyone tell me which car hire companies have an office and cars at Terminal 2 at Milan Malpensa airport.. I'd like to be able to avoid a shuttle bus to Terminal 1.

Thank you

6. Re: Car Hire Recommendations Malpensa Airport Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 10, 2015