We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milan Malpensa (MXP) to Santa Margherita Ligure

new york, new york
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Milan Malpensa (MXP) to Santa Margherita Ligure

Apologies in advance if this question has been asked and answered, but I am trying to figure out the best way to get from Milan Malpensa to our hotel in Santa Margherita Ligure. We will be traveling with 6 adults and a 15 month old child and we will probably each have at least 1 large suitcase per person (along with a stroller and car seat for the baby). Based on my research, we have the following options:

Train - I am confused whether the Malpensa Express would take us to the correct train station to take us to Santa Margherita Ligure (Milano Centrale). I know there is also the bus to get us to Milano Centrale. My biggest concern with taking the train is how we will handle all of our luggage and the baby, particularly with transfers. My second concern is the amount of time it will take us to do this (particularly knowing that my 15 month old son may not enjoy such a long travel period after an overnight flight from NY). Our flight arrives into MXP at 7:45 AM and I believe the first direct train to Santa Margherita Ligure is at 12:10 (getting into Santa Margherita Ligure at 2:25).

Car Rental - I thought this would be the best option, but we need an automatic car and it appears that the closest rental location to Santa Margherita Ligure to drop off an automatic car (large enough to fit our entire group) would be Genoa. If I am missing something and there is something closer, please let me know!

Private Transfer - This seems to be the easiest option, but is very expensive (most companies I found for E710 round trip (for the entire group); I did find one for E587 (through airportstaxistransfers.com)). I was hoping to avoid this option but if we must, does anyone have recommendations for a cheaper service? Has anyone used airportstaxistransfers.com?

Thanks in advance!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,524 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milan Malpensa (MXP) to Santa Margherita Ligure

Trains Malpensa Aeroporto to Santa Margherita Ligure www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for current train times, enter 08 as train departure time.

It is not advisable to drive after arriving on an overnight long haul flight.

Edited: 5:59 pm, January 27, 2014
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,205 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Milan Malpensa (MXP) to Santa Margherita Ligure

You are not missing anything with the car rental. There no longer appear to be any major rental companies offering cars in Santa Margherita or Rapallo.

You should manage the trains without any problem. The transfer in Milano Centrale is on the level, along a level concourse. You can take any of the half-hourly trains from Malpensa Aeroporto to Milano Centrale up to the 10.43, and even that one gives you 35 minutes to make your 12.10 Intercity train. There are plenty of places in Milano Centrale to have a drink if you arrive early www.milanocentrale.it/en/store/index/food

If you have a lot of luggage, you might wish to travel first class between Milan and Santa Margherita. While the seat widths are usually the same as they are usually six-seat compartments (three facing another three), the leg-room is greater - and as all luggage storage in compartment cars is in stored in overhead racks, you may need to have some of your luggage or the stroller on the floor between the seats.

Level Contributor
1,267 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milan Malpensa (MXP) to Santa Margherita Ligure

Do youhave so many luggage? Because there is an earlier train to sml with just ona change in genova.

new york, new york
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Milan Malpensa (MXP) to Santa Margherita Ligure

If we were to consider a car transfer, can anyone recommend a reliable company with good prices?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,205 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Milan Malpensa (MXP) to Santa Margherita Ligure

A transfer is certainly worth considering for seven people, particularly if you were intending to pay first class on the train. You might get it for around €400, less than twice the price of on-the day first class train tickets. You'll find plenty online, but I can't recommend anyone in particular

6. Re: Milan Malpensa (MXP) to Santa Margherita Ligure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 05, 2015