We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice needed whether to stay in Milan or in Lake Como area

malaysia
Level Contributor
164 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
advice needed whether to stay in Milan or in Lake Como area

My wife and I are arriving at the end of September to Malpensa, Milan, and wondered what would be best to do for 3 nights. We arrive on a sunday morning, and need to leave for Venice (train) on the wednesday morning. Would it be better to stay in Milan and do a day trip to Como, or go and stay 3 nights in Como and take the link train back to Milan to get the train to Venice? We need to be in Venice by mid afternoon on the wednesday. We have not purchased any tickets so we hope you can guide us.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,506 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice needed whether to stay in Milan or in Lake Como area

I think it's up to yourself if you want to stay in a city or on the lake but you may have difficulty finding a hotel that will accept a booking of 3 nights as it's still high season in Lake Como especially if the weather's good.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,093 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice needed whether to stay in Milan or in Lake Como area

Really, it depends on your interests. If you like museums and historic buildings, stay in Milan. If you enjoy lakeside scenery, stay somewhere on Lake Como. Somewhere around the middle of the lake (say Bellagio) would be more scenic than Como.

malaysia
Level Contributor
164 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice needed whether to stay in Milan or in Lake Como area

Wow, thanks for the really prompt response to my query. I am happy with exploring churches and museums in Milan, but as it is the end of September, we thought of Como as an alternative to enjoy the early autumnal colours. Chrella pointed out that the end of september is really busy for the Lakes, and I wondered if it might be easier to stay in Milan and do Como as a day trip?

Would it be relatively easy to get from Malpensa or Milan Centrale to Bellagio? I recall the trains stopping by Como, and one had to catch a bus or boat to Bellagio or am I wrong?

malaysia
Level Contributor
164 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice needed whether to stay in Milan or in Lake Como area

Sorry guys, I just discovered that there are lots of threads on my queries. Sorry for bothering all of you.

Will get back to you when the need arises. Thanks again,

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice needed whether to stay in Milan or in Lake Como area

I'm going to differ a little from the others and suggest it doesn't really matter that you prefer art and buildings, because Milan is so easy to get to from Lake Como you might as well stay with the nice lake scenery as well and daytrip it into Milan when you need to. Bonus, its WAY cheaper (unless you stay in Bellagio)

It would be harder to daytrip from Milan to Lake Como for a lake town ferry hop however as need to time yourself with the first ferry, last ferry etc etc.

Of course if you want to splurge on swanky restaurants and nightlife at night, then it would be better to stay in Milan.

You could also daytrip to Bergamo from Lake Como if like me you find Milan not to your liking.

If you want a nice town on Lake Como to stay in and don't care about being posh and shopping, I'd reccommend Varenna...its around 40 min train from Milan station.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,506 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice needed whether to stay in Milan or in Lake Como area

bboymsia, don't worry about asking questions that have been answered on here before as it takes a long time to sift through them and if we can we're happy to help.

I would start by looking for accommodation in Lake Como, if you can get booked for a few days then that's what I would do if you can't then your problems solved and you can book a hotel in Milan.

Or you could look for something in Lake Garda, there's a lot more hotel choices there as there's more villages and you could do day trips to Verona and are nearer Venice.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice needed whether to stay in Milan or in Lake Como area

One more comment...if you decide to stay in Varenna on Lake Como, consider staying at Albergo Milano if it's within your budget and not already booked out. Splurge on a room with lake view and breakfast (on terrace overlooking the lake).

Here's a few pics I took:

Varenna (approach by ferry): www.flickr.com/photos/cdchi1975/8436964546/

September morning after a freak cold snap day before: www.flickr.com/photos/cdchi1975/8435904587/

A 'beach' on Lake Como: flickr.com/photos/…

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
1,821 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice needed whether to stay in Milan or in Lake Como area

you can stay in Milan and go for a one-day-trip to Lake Como by train

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: advice needed whether to stay in Milan or in Lake Como area

we were in the same shoes last year (3 nights, Milan and Como).

since a lot of comments have already been added what I'd only like to point out is that Como is a small town and is not such a big deal: it's fine for a dayptrip, and easily accessible by train; however if you're interested in _Lake_ Como, then you might need more time. There are really nice places and small towns (bellagio, varenna) connected by boat or bus or you can also do some hiking in the area.

Finally our experience: we stayed in Milan, but found it after all somewhat disappointing (even with the museums) - not an enchanting town, although you can also do some shopping. We did a day trip, went to Como by train, took a bus to the beginning of the Green Way, walked along it (there are also nice villas to visit, e.g. Balbianello, which was also a movie set of some Star Wars and James Bond movies) then took a boat to bellagio, then another to varenna, and then came back by train from there to Milan. This is a tough tour for a day (but we had limited time) and needs organization because all the buses, trains, boats are not connected optimally - but can be done. Even easier if you stay in the area. Some info on Green Way:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1076994-d…

malaysia
Level Contributor
164 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: advice needed whether to stay in Milan or in Lake Como area

Oooh, those photos look very nice! You guys are great ! Thanks for all the advice, folks. We have decided to go to Como, take a boat or bus to Bellagio, and stay for a couple of nights. Then spend the last night either in Varenna or Milan to catch the train to Venice around noon. We are still flexible on our plans, and had toyed with the idea of just staying at Varenna the three nights, and catching the 10.37 to Milan to jump on the 12.05 or the 12.35 to Venice. Any comments on this?