We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milan to Varenna --- from Milan Centrale or Milan Garibaldi?

Which Milan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Wylie, South...
Level Contributor
140 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Milan to Varenna --- from Milan Centrale or Milan Garibaldi?

We are planning a trip to the Burgundy region of France, then on to Varenna on Lake Como. My rail choices from Beaune to Milan all involve one or two train changes to Milan, and end in either Milano Centrale or Milano Garibaldi. Which station would be the easier choice to then head on to Varenna (by Trenord I presume?). That is, I will already be tired of wrestling luggage when I arrive in the Milan region ---- am I better off at Milano Centrale or Milan Garibaldi?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,472 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Milan to Varenna --- from Milan Centrale or Milan Garibaldi?

Trains to Varenna all start at Milano Centrale.

If you arrive at Porta Garibaldi, you will have to take the Metro, a taxi, or a proper train (only every 30 minutes) to Centrale.

Lake Wylie, South...
Level Contributor
140 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milan to Varenna --- from Milan Centrale or Milan Garibaldi?

Many thanks --- I just love TripAdvisor. Answers to any question, any city --- in minutes!

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,076 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milan to Varenna --- from Milan Centrale or Milan Garibaldi?

Alternatively, you could take a suburban train from Milan's Garibaldi to Lecco, and change there to another local train to Varenna. The drawback is that these trains stop at all stations, unlike the direct train from Milan's central stations, which is faster as it only stops at Monza and Lecco.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milan to Varenna --- from Milan Centrale or Milan Garibaldi?

Definitely the stazione Centrale.

5. Re: Milan to Varenna --- from Milan Centrale or Milan Garibaldi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 15, 2014