We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in August?!!!!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
What to do in August?!!!!

My wife and I will be visiting Milan from 5th Aug to 12th Aug. It was not until our holidays were planned and approved at work, and travel & accommodation bookings were made and paid for that I came to learn about the August phenomenon. Is it true that it will be a ghost town and all or most of the shops and restaurants will be closed?

My main attraction in Milan, apart from the few architectural sites and a tour of the La Scala (yeah I realise there will be no performance to catch), is shopping. Could anyone please help me with the following queries?

1) Will the main shopping districts as well as factory outlets of the famous brands, some of which I hear are located on the outskirts of Milan, will be closed?

2) Will the sites will remain open?

3) I am told by an Italian friend to avoid restaurants and eateries in the touristy places (around the Duomo I presume for Milan) because they are over-priced and the quality of food isn't always the best. Would the restaurants etc. be open in less tourist-infested areas of the city?

4) What is the reason for this complete standstill in August and where do all the residents go?

We are visiting Rome from the 12th to the 17th. Should I expect a similar atmosphere there too or would it be more alive because of the larger number of tourists?

Please advise. I was looking forward to this trip because Italy as a country fascinates me for a number of reasons but knowing about the August standstill now I am feeling quite down.

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in August?!!!!

Hi from what i have read about and found out about milan gets very hot and humid in august and thats when the locals go on their holidays..and milan is not as busy and whilst a few restauranta will close most stay open as with the attractions hope that helps

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in August?!!!!

It isn't as bad as it used to be, the large chain shops and the Rinascenti department store will be open but a lot of the hotels and restaurants close for the whole month of August. Rome is different because it's a tourist hub so everything is open as usual.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in August?!!!!

Many thanks for your replies. I managed to buy online tickets to the Last Supper, Duomo, San Siro etc. and trying to book a guided tour of the La Scala, so it shouldn't be bad. I hope the fashion districts of via Montenapoleone etc. will be open. Can anyone throw any light on the impact of the mass holiday in August on fashion retail in Milan?

Thanks in advance.

Mestre, Italy
Level Contributor
7,960 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in August?!!!!

Shopping districs will be open, don't mind.

Milano
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in August?!!!!

August used to be a sort of desert, in the last years the situation changed.

I love Milan in August, still lot of restaurants are closed but you may find lot of them open.

Your friend is true, pay attention to restaurants and bars close to Duomo, they are pricey and often not too good.

I suggest these 3 not too far but experienced many times personally:

Typical “Trattoria” huge pasta plates (closed Sat lunch and Sunday)

tripadvisor.it/Restaurant_Review-g187849-d14…

New nice restaurant

tripadvisor.it/Restaurant_Review-g187849-d40…

Good restaurant

tripadvisor.it/Restaurant_Review-g187849-d20…

You may do a daytrip to Lake Como where you can relax, do a tour by ferry, lie on a beach.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in August?!!!!

Thanks a lot Francesco, I will certainly try some, if not all, of them out! All this talk about Milan being a dead city in August scared me a bit, so I booked a Bernina express tour of the Swiss Alps for a day and will be visiting Venice for a day too. But that still leaves me with 5 days in Milan, which I can easily spend doing some window shopping and actual shopping across the city's numerous designer stores and outlets, not to mention visits to the Duomo, the San Siro, the Last Supper and the La Scala. Since shopping is one of the major attractions in Milan, I would be very disappointed if those remain closed. Someone above has said they won't be, can you kindly confirm too?

I thank you for your advice about Lake Como, but for me the appeal of Italy is in its history and culture and of course, fashion (do all you guys, assuming you are a local, go around in Armanis and Guccis and Trussardis etc. lol?) and as it is my first trip there I would like to spend all my energy and time exploring and enjoying that (I'm visiting Rome after this and as I said, Venice in between).

Thank you again for your kind advice.

Edited: 6:01 am, July 09, 2013
Milano
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in August?!!!!

I am confident that from 5th to 12th of August luxury shops will be open.

Many museums in August are free entrance, there is so much to see-do in Milan and close that you may have the days full.

For example in front of Scala theatre there is a new museum, Le Gallerie, that really worth a visit, you may see paintings showing Milan in the last centuries, the center was full of channels that were covered for different reasons in the first half of last century but some of them still survive in Naviglia district.

I buy clothes of the wellknown labels only in outlets (you may reach some of them that are far from the city by bus) and during sales, prices are too high for me.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in August?!!!!

Do you remember the names of some of those outlets by any chance? I will definitely try out the museum. Thanks a lot.

Milano
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do in August?!!!!

Some good oulets that you may reach from Milan by bus:

www.fidenzavillage.com/en/home/home

mcarthurglen.com/it/…

…thestyleoutlets.it/en/schedule-contact

Anyway in Milan there is really much to see, you did not mention the Last Supper http://www.lastsuppertickets.com/ that really worth a visit as well as other churches like:

tripadvisor.it/Attraction_Review-g187849-d59…

tripadvisor.it/Attraction_Review-g187849-d19…

tripadvisor.it/Attraction_Review-g187849-d59…

tripadvisor.it/ShowUserReviews-g187849-d2466…

tripadvisor.it/Attraction_Review-g187849-d19…

and of course the Duomo

Italy
Level Contributor
6,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do in August?!!!!

I was in Fidenza outlet 20 minutes ago: good prices, 50% discount on outlet prices. I hope it's not against TA guidelines.