We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Go ahead and book my train to Florence?

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
360 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Go ahead and book my train to Florence?

Ok. I thought I had researched this enough, but apparently not... i had been told not bother booking my tickets ahead of time to Florence and have not ,thus far.. This weekend I have been all over the Trenatalia website... Looks like so many tickets are already sold out for my dates , with only the super expensive ones left... 100 euros! my fault for being naive. So..... should I jump on this and book now? Will I be able to print the tickets at home when i make the purchase? Date is April 2nd

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,852 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Go ahead and book my train to Florence?

Yes, you can print them at home. Book now as those discounted fares are not unlimited so if and when they are sold out, they are gone.

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Go ahead and book my train to Florence?

I am guessing you are traveling from Milan to Florence?

the base fare is €50 one way, if that is what is available for the times you want to travel, you can buy those at the train station.

However, I did see some available tickets for business class at €39, super economy, those you would want to buy on-line. They have some restrictions re: if you miss the train, changing the ticket, etc. If you decide to want to by on-line, I would recommend you contact your credit card co. first to let them know so they don't deny the charge.

There is a new train company that has received good reviews that also travels from Milan to Florence. However, the trains DON'T depart from the Centrale train station but two other ones. They are easy to get to on Milan's metro.

www.italotreno.it/EN/Pages/default.aspx

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
360 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Go ahead and book my train to Florence?

Thanks.. where is this other station in relation to Milano Centrale/ We are staying at Hotel Berna, very near the central station. I did see my error that I had put in for 2 passengers, making it 100 Euros.... So in all probability, there will be tickets available to get to Florence if I decide to wait? I had read where people had trouble with printing their tickets but yet the card had been charged.. I would be in a panic.. This is a very special trip with not a ton of money to waste.. Just wanting it to go smooth so that hopefully, the hubby will be hooked on Europe!

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,723 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Go ahead and book my train to Florence?

If you depart from Milano Centrale on the national train service (Trenitalia) there will be train tickets available for the full price, it is the discounted ones that go first. Not sure when you are departing Milan, but I did see some train fares of €39.

I bought four different train tickets several months ago with no problems. I first contacted my credit card company to notify that I was planning this purchase. I used my gmail account to have the tickets sent. It was very quick and I had pdfs of each of my train journeys. I saved a lot of €€

If you use the new company, Italo, they depart from the Porta Garibaldi Station, which is one metro stop away from Milan's Centrale train station. I did see fares for €40 on your date with this new train company.

good luck with everything I hope you can get your hubby hooked on Europe!

Tirana, Albania
Level Contributor
185 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Go ahead and book my train to Florence?

I would suggest you take Italotreno like another poster suggested. The tickets for trenoitalia end up being the same price as trenitalia only on the day of departure, i.e. are cheaper earlier. So, if this is not the day of departure, italotreno has most likely better prices than trenitalia. Moreover, it offers better quality and slightly faster trains. They depart from Milan Rogoredo and Milan Garribaldi stations and go to Florence SMN station, which is the main one anyway in Florence.

Rogoredo and Garribaldi, on the other hand, are well connected via metro, just like Centrale, so practically there is no difference, they are just different train stations inside Milan.

www.italotreno.it/EN/Pages/default.aspx

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Go ahead and book my train to Florence?

If you are sure you will make the trip, you can buy now and change later if needed for the full fare tickets.

You don't need to print the tickest and just take a screen shot of the email showing the booking# (PNR or something like that) on your phone. When the conductor comes to check, just show the # on your phone screen.

It worked for our recent trip (4 train rides) and saved some trees.

7. Re: Go ahead and book my train to Florence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 21, 2014