We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milan MXP-Milan-Cannero Riveria and back

england
Level Contributor
185 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Milan MXP-Milan-Cannero Riveria and back

Would I be better getting the train from MXP to Milan (staying two nights) then renting a car to get to Cannero and returning straight back to MXP, or renting a car from MXP from day one and returning it to MXP?

I am assuming the train/bus is too complicated from Milan to Cannero/Cannero to MXP?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,967 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Milan MXP-Milan-Cannero Riveria and back

You could do without a car in Milan, so you could alternatively go in and out of Milan by train and rent to and from the airport.

From Milan, the easiest way to Cannero may be train to Luino http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html (use a date this week to see fares) then boat http://www.navlaghi.it/eng/m_orari.asp

If you are travelling after March 28 the easiest way by public transport back to Malpensa is probably bus vcoinbus.it/cagnoli/…i_verbania_brissago.pdf or taxi to Intra then safduemila.com/files/alibus-2013-english.pdf to Malpensa.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,285 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milan MXP-Milan-Cannero Riveria and back

You can actually take a direct train from Luino back to Malpensa airport (departures every 2 hours), so taking the ferry also from Canneroto Luino on the way to Malpensa could be a good idea.

england
Level Contributor
185 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milan MXP-Milan-Cannero Riveria and back

That is a good idea - Is the train to Milan from MXP an easy/quick journey? - we are going to Corso Concordia/Viale Piave area

Boats/trains sound lovely but I would be worried about the return journey to MXP. I think we may need a car to travel around the lake?

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,285 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milan MXP-Milan-Cannero Riveria and back

The train I was talking about was the one from Luino to Malpensa -- see timetable at quadri-orario.ch/fileadmin/…633.pdf - as you may see is' just an hour and 20 minutes.

As from Malpensa to Milan and vice versa see the FAQ ("How do I get from the airport to the city") -on the upper right corner of this page.

5. Re: Milan MXP-Milan-Cannero Riveria and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 22, 2014