We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Como or French Riviera?

3 posts
Save Topic
Lake Como or French Riviera?

I'm planning my honeymoon for October 2013. Right now the plan is to fly into Florence, spend a few days in that city and a few days in the Tuscany countryside, then hop a train to the Cinque Terre and spend a few days there.

At that point I was thinking of either going north for a few days in Milan and Lake Como, or going west to Nice, which we would use as a base to explore the Cote d'Azur for a few days.

What do you all think is better? Replies appreciated.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Como or French Riviera?

Hi MattPf,

We've moved this topic to the Milan forum, because it should be more likely to receive some replies here. We hope you find the information you're looking for.

Best regards,

TA_MikeW

New York
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Como or French Riviera?

I've been to both and each location is lovely. There is no best or better. They are quite different, but both worth going to. Do some research, look at pictures, etc.. and that will help you decide which will suit your tastes most.

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Como or French Riviera?

Thanks for the reply Miriam.

I'm wondering a few things:

I understand that the Fr. Riviera is known for its nightlife and can be quite crowded, whereas Lake Como has a more relaxed vibe. But will the weather be good the first week of October?

Also, I wonder whether I'm trying to pack too many things into a 2-week honeymoon -- maybe we should stick to Tuscany and the Italian Riviera.

Edited: 3:36 pm, February 11, 2013
New York
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Como or French Riviera?

I honestly don't know what the weather will be like in either place at that time. I've only been to those areas in May-June. I have to say that Lake Como is really a special place. I loved staying in Bellagio and I was by myself. Not a lot going on in the evening, but so relaxing and gorgeous scenery.

With 2 weeks you can do the Florence/Tuscany region, Cinque Terre, and Lake Como. Depending on how much time you actually want to spend in the museums in Florence it might be nice to just stay in the countryside. It's such a personal choice. I've been to Florence 3 times for various reasons, but it's not one of my most favorite places in Italy. There's just so many tourists (myself included lol). I'm also not a fan of Milan at all and I can't stand Pisa! I do love Siena and I adore the Cinque Terre. If you do spend the 2 weeks in Italy you could fly into one city and out from another.

I know I probably haven't been that helpful, but it really is such a personal choice of what you want to see and do. You could spend months in Italy and not have enough time to go all the places you might like. Look at pictures and head to your local bookstore to browse through all the different guide books. There really isn't a wrong choice. No matter where you choose (including the French Riviera) it's sure to be a wonderful trip!

3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Como or French Riviera?

Thanks again Miriam. I think we will choose Lake Como. Bellagio looks amazing from pictures.

New York
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Como or French Riviera?

Enjoy. It really is beautiful there. I think it's one of the prettiest places in all of Italy.

Sydney
Level Contributor
770 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Como or French Riviera?

I think that's a good choice. Also I think while in Italy, stay in Italy and soak as much of it up as you can, do France another trip.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
395 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Como or French Riviera?

Hi MattPf

first of all congratulations for the coming wedding!

The scenario between Milano - Lake Como and Cote d'Azur is different :)

Also about packaging we cannot give suggestions, it mostly depends on you.

Weather should be still nice at the beginning of October.

I have been in Nice and around for one new years eve and the weather was still fine (but maybe I was just lucky).

Bellagio is a nice town. Visit this forum for more info about Como lake and surrounding: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g187833-i496-Lake_…

and have a look also to this post as you'll find a brief description of all the main villages on Lake Como with pros and cons: post #1 tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187833-i496-k5323…

Enjoy your trip!

regards..

9. Re: Lake Como or French Riviera?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 14, 2014