We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milano Centrale to Malpensa for a flight to Greece

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Milano Centrale to Malpensa for a flight to Greece

Taking the earliest train from Florence to Milan puts us at Milano Centrale at 8:45 AM. Easy Jet flight to Athens from Malpensa leaves at 11:30 AM. Is this do-abe? Too close? What is the fastest way to get from the train station to Malpensa? Many thanks in advance.

Our only other option is to come the night before which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world...

Best Seller
Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,184 reviews
from $160.80*
Best Seller
Lake Como Day Tour, Bellagio or...
1,441 reviews
from $98.50*
Best Seller
Milan Half-Day Sightseeing Tour
3,777 reviews
from $86.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Small-Group Milan...
1,103 reviews
from $87.20*
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,267 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Milano Centrale to Malpensa for a flight to Greece

When's the next train from Milano Centrale to Malpensa - it takes about 45-50 minutes (though last time I took it from the airport to Milano Central it took 1.25 hours for some unknown reason but not sure if that was a very uncommon experience as it was my only time using it).

There is also a bus to Malpensa but that takes about one hour and is subject to traffic conditions -

You need to check in at 45 minutes prior to your EasyJet flight - they do not allow you to check in after that - So, you need to be there no later than 10:45 - I don't know if the schedules will all match up but theoretically you should make it.

I don't like Milan and while I always make myself stay there the night before an international flight, I'm not sure I would want to do that for a domestic flight such as this.

Check the Malpensa train schedules and see if it works for you www.trenitalia.com

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milano Centrale to Malpensa for a flight to Greece

Looks like there is one leaving at 9:17 with a transfer at milano nord caldorna (5 minutes for the change) that arrives at 9:57. Then there is a direct one leaving at 9:25 and arriving at 10:17. Does that cut it too close for check in for a 11:30 flight? I will have to figure out the bus schedule. Are taxis too expensive for this journey?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,322 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Milano Centrale to Malpensa for a flight to Greece

Take the earliest train. Even that is cutting it very fine.

EasyJet leaves from Terminal 2, so you should take a bus from Milano Centrale to Malpensa. This will be easier and almost certainly faster than taking a train to T1 and then a transfer bus.

A taxi costs €90 and will be little faster.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milano Centrale to Malpensa for a flight to Greece

Okay, it seems as if the bus might be our best option. Is there a specific place to go to get the bus going to Malpensa. I understand there is more than one bus line.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milano Centrale to Malpensa for a flight to Greece

If time is on your side I would travel to Milan and out to Malpensa the night before and stay close by. Your schedule is doable but you are not leaving yoruself much room for error or delays.

The train form Florence gets into Central and you then need to get two seperate local trains (on differrent lines) to get the Malpensa Express. I know there is a bus option from somewhere but I'm not familiar with it.

Most, if not all hotels around Malpensa have free shuttles to the airport (both Terminals). If you do take this option make sure you book the shuttle the night before (ie when you check in), as we had teh situation where the shuttle was full and those who did not book were kicked off.

We stayed at the Ibis or Novotel. It was a good clean hotel with decent accomm and meals while not being too expensive.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,322 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Milano Centrale to Malpensa for a flight to Greece

The buses all depart from the same place at the side of the station. You can see it on the map here malpensashuttle.it/web2011/…

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Milano Centrale to Malpensa for a flight to Greece

Thanks for all your help!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Milano Centrale to Malpensa for a flight to Greece

If you decide to spend the night before there, spend it in Milan, not in Malpensa. Milan is a lovely city and you ll have a fun day filled with sightseeing and activities if you arrive in the morning or early afternoon.

Then the next morning you can plan your departure from Milan to Malpensa airport and be on time for your flight.

We have taken that specific flight from malpensa to Athens, and we had no problem at all reaching the airport on time.

If you do decide to spend the prior night in Milan, Ibis milano centro offers great value for money.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Milano Centrale to Malpensa for a flight to Greece

Milan as an option works well. All depends on how long you have. I didn't think of that earlier as when we travelled we had already spend a week in Milan previously and decided to have more time in Florence and catch a train late in the day. Milan is a great city though and you will not be dissappointed if you spend a day sightseeing there.

In checking, I was also not correct about needing to catch two seperate trains from Centrale to Cardorna (for Malpensa Express).

You can get the Green line direct - sorry about that - again I was thinking about what we did (we had left a bag at our accommodation in Milan), not what you can do.

Cheers and enjoy.

Edited: 10:13 pm, February 06, 2013
10. Re: Milano Centrale to Malpensa for a flight to Greece

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 08, 2014