We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monza f1 Grand Prix 2013

Which Milan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Monza f1 Grand Prix 2013

Hello, I am wondering if anyone can offer some advice.

My fiancé and I are looking to attend the Italian GP at Monza this September. We have found flights leaving the UK on the Thursday arriving late afternoon but departing on the Sunday evening at 8.40pm. We would be flying into Milan Malpensa.

We have found accommodation situated just a short distance from the track and plan on walking to the track each day Friday-Sunday. I am not concerned about getting to Monza from the airport as I have read a number of threads which detail the best ways to do this.

I am however wondering how we would get from the race on the Sunday back to Milan malpensa airport in time for our flight. Is this possible? Does anyone have any information in relation to the business of the trains/roads after the race. We would stay to watch the podium and leave immediately following that. We travel very light so would carry our belongings with us over the sunday so we would not need to worry about checking out of the hotel. We just need to leave the track and head straight to the airport. What would be the quickest way back to the airport? How long would this take approximately?

We have attended races in Barcelona and Spa both of which have better transport systems in and around the track on race day than silverstone.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan
Level Contributor
1,976 posts
399 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monza f1 Grand Prix 2013

Hi rachelnpt1

and welcome to the Milan forum!

The journey between Monza (or Biassono-Lesmo) and Malpensa lasts between a hour and a hour and a half.

Have a look to train schedules at www.trenitalia.com (or www.trenord.it). You can change in Milano Porta Garibaldi or Saronno.

Only on sunday there are also free trains between Biassono-Lesmo and MIlano Centrale: monzanet.it/it/…20treno

Timetables are still temporary.

From Milano Centrale you can take the Malpensa Express train http://www.malpensaexpress.it/en/

Here's the map of the circuit: monzanet.it/get/…202011.pdf

regards..

England, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monza f1 Grand Prix 2013

Hello,

Many thanks for your reply!

If we leave after the race on the Sunday (4-4pm) are we likely to make it back to Malpensa airport by 7.30pm in advance of our flight? What is the congestion like in and around Monza/Milan on race day? Am I right in assuming that a train is the most appropriate method of travel for us?

If we get the train can we prebook our tickets or will we be able to purchase them on the day. I suppose we want to make sure we have a ticket for travel. Will we otherwise need to queue at ticket machines.

We have used the Italian train service for travel when we visited Roma a few years ago. Am I right in saying that train tickets ascertain which seat you are able to sit in?

Any information about our travel after the race will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Rachel

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monza f1 Grand Prix 2013

There is no traffic allowed in Monza on race day so the buses to the Monza train station don't take long but the free train that runs from Biassono - Lesmo would be your best option as they run frequently and you can get the train to Malpensa from the central station, you shouldn't have a problem making it to the airport for your flight, also the Monza race is very quick, if the weathers good the race usually finishes just before 3.30pm.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monza f1 Grand Prix 2013

Brilliant thanks for your help!

Can we buy train tickets in advance or do we need to wait until the day of travel? Can we buy these at machines in advance of Sunday if we wish?

Monza, Italy
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monza f1 Grand Prix 2013

Hi rachelnpt1. You said that you're going to walk to the circuit from the hotel; can I ask you where is it? I can't think of any hotel so close to the circuit unless you were lucky enough to book a room at Hotel de la Ville. There are few hotels in the area and usually they're booked a year in advance by the team personnel.

I don't travel often by train therefore I can't help you with the tickets, but please be informed that, before boarding a train, you must stamp your ticket in the yellow box machines or you'll get a fine.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan
Level Contributor
1,976 posts
399 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monza f1 Grand Prix 2013

rachelnpt1, it's also depending if you'd like to use the free train service between Biassono Lesmo and Centrale.

In any case as those are regional trains, seats reservation is not possible.

As it seems you have enough time for your transfer and there's no risk you cannot enter the train (as there's no reservation!), I'd buy the ticket directly on sunday afternoon.

Keep coins to use in the vending machine.

regards..

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monza f1 Grand Prix 2013

Pardon the intrusion: barging into this thread as I note that two local experts are on hand . . . I have a related question: staying in Verona as we are attending the opera on Sunday night (21.00). We will have a car, but just wondering what access route will allow us the quickest exit. Should we drive as close as possible and park in one of the surrounding lots (i.e. purchase a parking permit for the GP)? Or will we only be snarled in traffic getting out of Monza . . .?

Or is it better to park further away (Bergamo, for example or somewhere in between) and take a train/bus/taxi to/from Monza? How accessible are these transport modes AFTER the race? (Thinking of Montreal where the subway gets you in with ease, but gets so jammed after the race that it ends up the slowest exit route.)

Greatly appreciate your first-hand knowledge and experience--thanks in advance!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monza f1 Grand Prix 2013

Where are you staying the night before?

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monza f1 Grand Prix 2013

Sorry, Chrella, about not replying--lost track of my post!

We plan to stay in Verona as we fly in on Sat and out on Monday, also never visited before. So we can do a test run of the options on Saturday when we come for the qualifying . . .

Suffield, Ohio...
Level Contributor
13 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monza f1 Grand Prix 2013

@carmen0806 thank you for the post regarding train service between Milan and the track. Are there trains available on the Friday and Saturday of race weekend? I doubt they're free, but what might the fare be those days? Thank you in advance!

...Bob