We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malpensa to Venice on the train

Melbourne
Level Contributor
36 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Malpensa to Venice on the train

Hi

We are arriving at Malpensa (T1) in early September on a Friday morning at 7am and would like to head straight to Venice. There are 5 of us travelling together and I'd like advice on if I should pre-purchase our train tickets. I'm worried if our flight is late that we might miss the train. Is it possible to chance the 5 of us getting on a train from Milan to Venice at that time of the year? Will it be much more expensive than pre-purchasing?

I've been doing some reading and it looks like we should get the train from the airport straight to Milano Centrale (or the bus) rather than via Cadorna. Is this correct?

Thank you

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,220 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malpensa to Venice on the train

Don't buy ahead of time: you do not know whether your plane will be delayed or by how much. Advanced purchase tickets could save you some money, but they are worthless if you miss the train.

Trains will not sell out in September. Buy your tickets from Malpensa to Venice at Malpensa. Take the train from Malpensa to Milan Central, and change there for your train to Venice Santa Lucia.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
36 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malpensa to Venice on the train

Thank you for your advice.

Saint Louis...
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Malpensa to Venice on the train

We are flying into Malpensa in August and taking the train from Centrale to Venice for a cruise. When we cruised out of Civitavecchia a few years ago we flew into Rome and took the train to Civitavecchia. The train car had a narrow little flight of stairs we had to drag our bags up in order to board the train, and since my wife always brings a big piece of luggage, the struggle getting onto the train with our luggage was very stressful. Is it likely the train between Milan and Venice is the same way? I'd like to be psychologically prepared ahead of time if it is. Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,220 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malpensa to Venice on the train

For travel by train, it is essential that you do not have more luggage than you can *comfortably* handle by yourselves. There is nobody to help you at the stations, there may be stairs to the platforms, and there are always a few steep steps up into the train.

So get psyched up!

Saint Louis...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Malpensa to Venice on the train

Sigh, I was afraid of that...

Saint Louis...
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Malpensa to Venice on the train

Sydneynick, same question as Kengirl, but we get there in mid-August. Same answer? i.e., trains don't sell out in August either? Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,220 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malpensa to Venice on the train

Mid to late August is the peak time for Italians travelling on holiday, and trains might sell out. However, there are usually 2 trains each hour between Milan and Venice, and it is unlikely that will all sell out.

If the worst occurs, there are some slow trains that have no seat reservations and for which tickets cannot sell out.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,220 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Malpensa to Venice on the train

Trains from Malpensa Aeroporto to Milano Centrale cannot sell out as they have no reserved seats.

There are trains from Milano Centrale to Venice at least every hour. Even if one or two sell out (which is unlikely as you will be buying your tickets in Malpensa about an hour before the train you wish to take from Centrale) the rest will not.

Edited: 7:14 am, June 15, 2012
Saint Louis...
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Malpensa to Venice on the train

Thank you both very much. Since we will be staying in Milan for 2 days before we go into Venice, we wouldn't be buying tickets for that train in Malpensa, but in Centrale. I don't know if that would make a difference...? I suppose not?

Branson, Missouri
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Malpensa to Venice on the train

We are also doing the fly to Milan, train to Venice and the cruise (H/A N. Amsterdam).

Do you know the cost of the train and how long it takes?

Thanks,

Chuck

Branson, Mo.