We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train and luggage

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
726 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
Train and luggage

We are starting out vacation in Milan by taking a train out of Milan to Venice (strange, but we arrive and depart Italy from Malpensa). I was wondering about checking in the luggage on the train. Is it like the airport where you go to a checkin spot or do we take all our luggage to out seats (I hope not)? How does this work? any advice or hints?

Thanks

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train and luggage

You take your luggage with you and stow it either at the end of the car, above like an airplane or behind your seats. The Eurostar takes about 2hrs & 45 min from Milano Centrale to Santa Lucia in Venice. Comfortable, fast, and when you buy a ticket, it's a reserved seat.

Remember, pack light, pack light, pack light.

Once you exit customs at Malpensa you'll see signs for buses to Milano Centrale for 5-6 Euros per person. It's about an hour ride to the train station. Or, you can take a taxi.

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
322 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train and luggage

Does anyone remember off the top of his or her head if the 2nd class cars have luggage storage at the ends of the cars (like 1st class), or above the seats? Drawing a blank at the moment..... Thanks!

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
322 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train and luggage

Oops -- I meant to say on the Eurostar trains.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
726 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train and luggage

Thanks for the info. I read elsewhere in TA that there may be a chance that the luggage could get stolen. Is there something I can do to lessen the chance of this? Or, is this just a rumour? I have first class tickets reserved already.What is the train like? Can you get drinks and a meal? I have not travelled on a train in many many years and the trains in Canada are not like the trains in Europe.

Pack light, I understand that but, I have a Wife to whom packing light means bright colored clothing vice dark LOL.

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train and luggage

Don't worry, everybody travels with luggage, not only on long-distance trains. Every train, going to the smallest village has enough storage space for luggage.

There's no difference in storage space between 2nd and 1st class. Just mind that you don't leave your luggage fully unattended when the train waits at Milan for departure. Usually no problem when the train starts its journey... thiefs don't travel on trains.

Information about services on the train can be found in the timetable:

www.trenitalia.it (former state railways <FS>)

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train and luggage

On the newer ICE3 trains that have luggage storage in the middle of the coach and at the end of the coaches on TVG trains there are loops/bars built-in where you could use a small bike chain lock to lock-in your luggage. If nothing else run the chain through the handles of two or three pieces of luggage.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,380 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train and luggage

1st class passengers on EuroStar Italia trains get a complimentary newspaper and soft drink (airline-style). There is a restaurant car, but I never used it.

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train and luggage

If you like to see the menu of restaurant coaches: www.chefexpress.it

They often have a daily menu, prepared and cooked fresh on the train. It's not cheap but a nice way to have lunch/dinner or a snack.