We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 hour stopover at Malpensa. Options please

india
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
7 hour stopover at Malpensa. Options please

Hi,

I will be in transit with my wife and 2 teenage children at Malpensa Airport end May.

We land at 7.15 am and have a flight to Madrid at 2.45 pm.

How do we use this time to see or do something ?

Are there possibilities to go to Milan Centre or to any of the lakes nearby (Como or Maggiore).

What would be our transport options ?

Any suggestions please ?

thanks a lot in advance

Sundeep Gupta

India

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Como
Como
Lake Como, Italy
Minneapolis
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 hour stopover at Malpensa. Options please

Too bad you can't stay longer!

One of the best ways to get into Milan is to take the train from Malpensa into Cadorna. Here is the link for Malpensa Express, cheap and FAST: ferrovienord.it/webmxp/ing/frame-servizio-in… This is not the center (Stazione Centrale is closer to the Duomo), but it is much much cleaner and more of the real Milan.

If you are hungry when you get there, try going to Bar Magenta; very popular and fun for the kids. Or, there is an amazing focacceria (kind of like pizza, but served room temp.) right outside of the station, a storefront, but I can't remember exactly where.

Another option alltogher would be to take the Pullman into Stazione Centrale and hop on a train to Como, but I fear that you would only have a short time to see it. It take about an hour to get from Malpensa to S.C. and then another hour & 1/2 so to Como and one hour to Maggiore.

If you just stay in Milan, you can go to the Duomo and take a tour of the roof-top! For just a couple Euros you can have full access to the roof and see an un-paralleled

view of a beautiful city! There are great (but expensive) shops all over, including those that are in the historic Galleria. Go past the Duomo and take a peak at La Scala, it's incredible!

I just love Milan and am going back myself in two weeks.

Have fun and good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Como
Como
Lake Como, Italy
London
Level Contributor
206 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 hour stopover at Malpensa. Options please

I did this myself in early January - I recommend the train from Malpensa to Cadorna which takes 40 mins and runs every half an hour - very civilised. Cadorna station is about 15 minutes brisk walk from the Duomo which is a must see and the roof is spectacular in the extreme - access is via a lift at the south-east corner of the cathedral outside unless you fancy the stairs (I didn't). The Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II almost next to the Duomo is well worth a walk-through - many excellent shops and its a wonderful piece of C19th architecture. Depending on what your interests are I can recommend the Pinoteca Brera which is a world class art gallery about 15 minutes from the Duomo or seeing the Last Supper - essential to book for this in advance - a search on the internet should provide a number of sources of tickets.

Mentioned in this post
Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II
Galleria Vittorio...
22,975 Reviews
Milan, Italy
London
Level Contributor
206 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 hour stopover at Malpensa. Options please

I did this myself in early January - I recommend the train from Malpensa to Cadorna which takes 40 mins and runs every half an hour - very civilised. Cadorna station is about 15 minutes brisk walk from the Duomo which is a must see and the roof is spectacular in the extreme - access is via a lift at the south-east corner of the cathedral outside unless you fancy the stairs (I didn't). The Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II almost next to the Duomo is well worth a walk-through - many excellent shops and its a wonderful piece of C19th architecture. Depending on what your interests are I can recommend the Pinoteca Brera which is a world class art gallery about 15 minutes from the Duomo or seeing the Last Supper - essential to book for this in advance - a search on the internet should provide a number of sources of tickets.

Mentioned in this post
Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II
Galleria Vittorio...
22,975 Reviews
Milan, Italy