We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do for 2 days with

Save Topic
what to do for 2 days with

I'm looking for suggestions. We are traveling with our children, ages 7, 10, and 16 to Lake Como in March. After Como we will visit Florence & Rome. We are flying into Malpensa airport and have about 2 days before we meet our friends in Como. We would like to rent a car and drive to ??? Where should we go? We were thinking it would be fun to experience some swiss culture? Or should we just stay in Milan? Someone suggested going to Stresa to acclimate to being in Europe. We are from Alaska and this is our first trip to Europe. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Como
Lake Como
Lombardy, Italy
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,936 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do for 2 days with

Milan is a great city, much neglected by tourists. There is a great deal to see there, depending on your interests. If it is fashion and shopping then the Via Monte Napoleone area is home to the big names; if it is football there are famous clubs in Milan which will be playing in March.

However, for my money Milan is a much neglected centre for art and architecture

In the middle is the great cathedral, one of the largest Gothic churches in the world, begun in 14 century and not complete untillast centruy. There is a lift up to the roof with marvellous views across to the Alps and splendid close ups of spires, statues and gargoyles.

Castello Sforzesco - the great castle of the Dukes of Milan has a wonderful Pieta by Michelangelo and lots more; the Pinacoteca Ambrosiana has a large Library with Leonardo's Atlantic Codex on display + such treasures as a 5 Century illustrated copy of the Iliad and in addition a good picture gallery with important painings byCaravaggio, cartoons by Raphael and lots of other works by Titian etc.; the Pinacoteca di Brera is the biggest of the art galleries.

There are some of the oldest surviving churches - Sant'Ambrogio building started in AD379; San Lorenzo Maggiore has lots of early christian bits and a row of 16 Roman.

There is lots more in Milan, I hope this gives you a taste and encourages you to explore a great city. columns.

Why go to Stresa to acclimatise? Italy, or Europe, we do not live on Mars, we are not that strange surely and the European climate is not that extreme. If it was the Sudan, where I used to work, then I might begin to understand.

Mentioned in this post
Via Monte Napoleone
Via Monte Napoleone
1,114 Reviews
Milan, Italy
Castello Sforzesco
Castello Sforzesco
10,550 Reviews
Milan, Italy
Sudan
Sudan
Africa