We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outlet Shopping

Chicago
Level Contributor
13 posts
41 reviews
Outlet Shopping

I will be in Milano in March of 2006, and was wondering if anyone knows if they have any outlet stores, similar to the ones they have outside of Florence? Anything within a short train ride or within the city would be great. If they are in Switzerland that would be ok as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

London
8 posts
1. Re: Outlet Shopping

The best oulet shopping is Foxtown which is outside Milan, near the swiss border. Got this from my friend who served in Milan for 5 years. You can get everthing there. M planning similar trip in July(the sale period).

Hasanah

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
2. Re: Outlet Shopping

Hi, may I ask one question: can we go to Foxtown by train or bus? Or we need to rent a car? How long is the ride? Thanks!

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
13,012 posts
111 reviews
3. Re: Outlet Shopping

This is the access info from the Foxtwon website: www.foxtown.ch/mendrisio/us/welcome.html

You could also take a train from Milan, see www.bahn.de for schedules.

Also, note that a couple of years ago McArthur Glen opened a HUGE (much, much bigger than Foxtown) outlet shopping center approx 100 km S of Milan at Serravalle Scrivia - see serravalle.mcarthurglen.it/index.php?lang=en

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
387 reviews
4. Re: Outlet Shopping

FoxTown has better high-end brands than McArthur Glen. Start at the top if you are short on time.

From Milano: trains run from Centrale and Porto train stations. Check timetables though, as they are not high frequency. An early start is advised, as the trains do not often run on time. Allow at least 45 minutes to purchase your tickets cos the queues move very slowly! You need to got to the International counters, which are to the left of the main ticket hall.

You need to change at Chiasso (one platform is in Italy, the other is in Switzerland, you show your passport between them), then take the train to Mendrisio,which is only 2 more stations along.

From Mendrisio, you can call for taxis (numbers are outside the station). They accept euros, but will not give you any change! 5 euros will be sufficient, including tip. Alternatively, you can walk to Foxtown. Out of the station, turn left and wakl for 100m or so, turn left onto the overpass bridge, then at the end of the bridge turn right. You should see Foxtown there.

BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR PURCHASES! Freight trains go through Mendrisio at breakneck speed, and my Prada purchase was blown away (it survived, but is scarred).

I thought the stock at McArthur Glen was average. Its Prada outlet only sells shoes and keyrings, not clothes. It is a mission to get there, as the bus only runs every hour and the train on Sunday back to Milano was standing room only. The train took well over an hour. But, I did get some bargains at Bulgari, Furla & Mandarina Duck.

Visit during the sale periods.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Outlet Shopping

Foxtown

Right then. I'm just back from Milan and thought I would give you all an insight as to what it is like regards shopping. Primarily because I couldn't find much info before going other than 'Foxtown is an outlet mall'. Anyway, here goes:

The main streets in Milan are very very expensive to shop on. So much so that they don't even put the prices tags on the clothes or anywhere nearby. Its the kind of place where you're supposed to be so loaded you just pick it up, put it on the till and slap it on your credit card regardless. So if you're looking for some bargains there forget it. Maybe at sale times it might be good but otherwise its purely for window shopping. We bought 8 pieces of chocolate from a chocolate shop (like Thorntons) - while we waited for our wives. Tiny they were. 20 Euro's for 8 pieces. Meanwhile my pals wife bought 2 baby outfits for 400 euro's!! They'll be putting them in the safe when they get home ;-)

Then we thought we would try some outlet stores within Milan - Basement was the name of one of them and Il Salvente something was another. We went to 3 in all and they were all pretty naff. Like TK Maxx. You may find something if you have all afternoon to spare. But who wants to do that when in Milan. So we ventured out to Foxtown. You can read on other forums how to get there - the post above has put excellent directions which we followed. They have a website with the stores on it and it will take around 4 hours to go round it so its not massive. I would say on average the prices are 33% - 50% off which is not bad and they are in Swiss Francs (2.5 to the pound). I got a few good bargains and I'd say if you have > 2 days in Milan its worth it. The Armani shop wasn't great but I found a few good things in there too. Its nowhere near as good as say Woodbury Common in Ney York but i'd put it ahead of The Mall in Florence which is tiny.

The other option when in Milan would be to go to Serrevalle. I never went but I heard it is massive and is a 'city of shopping'. Only downside is it does not have an Armani store and is 2 hours from Milan. On the upside it is supposedly cheaper though as the currency is Euro's as opposed to CHF.

Anyway, hope that all helps prospective shoppers!

R

6. Re: Outlet Shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 13, 2009