We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Venice to Milan

Derby,UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Venice to Milan

I'm thinking of booking a low cost flight to Venice perhaps staying for a day or two as I have visited Venice before then perhaps getting a train from Venice to Milan stay in Milan for two or three days then back to Venice for the flight home. Has anyone done this trip and is it worth doing i.e is a return ticket from Venice to Milan very expensive. Do the trains run regularly and how long is the journey. Or in the long run is it cheaper and better to get a cheap flight to Bergamo and go on to Milan from there. Any info or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,638 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Venice to Milan

Trains from Venice to Milan are frequent e.g. 10.22; 10.52; 11.17; 11.52; 12.52 etc. Most take 3.03 hours, express can be as little as 2.43 and the more frequent stoppers take 3.28. Fairs are reasonable, cheaper than in England. If you are in a party of 4 or more you can obtain a reduced price group ticket but ask at the ticket desk for it as we have found they will cheerfully sell you 4 separate tickets unless you specifically ask.

Bergamo is a much quicker journey and Bergamo is a lovely town, at least the old part on the hill which is very picturesque.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Venice to Milan

Hi

My wife and I went from Milan to Venice (and back again) when we went there in June 2003. As mentioned already it takes 2-3 hours. I have posted more information and pictures in a trip report on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there :-)

Regards

Gard