We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Geneva from Milan

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
281 posts
40 reviews
Travel to Geneva from Milan

Hi

I need to travel from Milan to Geneva on 14th Sept after 5pm. Can anyone tell me do I need to book the train in advance? I tried via www.trenitalia.com and had no luck... it would not let me buy????

Are their any cheap flights? I can only find direct flights with air Italia and they are 380Euros which is way over my budget!

Any advice you may have appreciated..

Thanks

Paula

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: Travel to Geneva from Milan

the trip is so short, that flight is not really warranted (I am not sure there are even flights between Milan and Genoa).

There are numerous trains between both cities throughout the day... I think this is your best option. I am not sure why you cannot book on the website of trenitalia.com

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
1 review
2. Re: Travel to Geneva from Milan

There are flights to Genoa and to Geneva where our Sydney friends wants to go (by the way love your city).

I have a personal adversion towards Alitalia, so wont fly with them ever, in any case they are not cheap so is Swiss Air or whatever they are called now.

Might want to check smaller airlines.

Train: as you can see on this forum there are plenty of complaint about Trenitalia website, good for timetables but not for buying...I read somewhere in those posts that there another website where you can buy tickets, something like raileurope, use the search feature and good luck.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: Travel to Geneva from Milan

Emerlad125:

Sorry about my previous posting I read it Genoa not Geneva, hence my answer was kind of irrelevant... I guess I needed a second mug of coffee at the time.

with regards to Milan - Geneva by train, it is a 4.5 hours by Eurocity trains. If you are having problem with the italian site, then tray the swiss rail site:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Travel to Geneva from Milan

Not sure why you feel the need to buy a train ticket now. The price is not going to change and your plans may. You can find schedules at the Trenitalia or SBB and buy your ticket at the train station. Because this is an International journey, it is not possible to buy a ticket online or know exactly what the fare is.

Consider this, to travel by plane it will be: 15 minutes to the train or bus station in Milan, 1 hour to the Malpensa airport, 1 hour for check-in, security, waiting for the plane, a 1h 20m flight, 10 minutes to get off the plane, 20 minutes to wait for luggage, 10 minutes to get to train platform, 15 minute by train into Geneva.

Traveling by train from Milan to Geneva is from downtown to downtown, will cost a lot less, have fewer hassles and be just as fast.

You may wish to read this posting: tripadvisor.com/…1431840

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
281 posts
40 reviews
5. Re: Travel to Geneva from Milan

Thanks all for your help...

I was going to pre-book as its a business trip and the appointment schedule is really tight so we have to take that particular train. I will leave it till I arrive in Milan.

Thanks again

Paula

Perth,Australia
2 posts
6. Re: Travel to Geneva from Milan

hi

i need to travel from geneva to milan with my car. How long will it take ? and what is the best route ?

kind regards

aussie soldier

Italy
Level Contributor
39,684 posts
235 reviews
7. Re: Travel to Geneva from Milan

From Milan to Geneva, take the A4 direction Torino, then about half way to Torino take the A5 to Aosta, from there head to the Mont Blanc tunnel passing by Courmayeur, then the A40 to Geneva.

If you don't have any traffic problems it will take about 4 hours.

8. Re: Travel to Geneva from Milan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, September 02, 2009