We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milan Accomodation close to Central Station

San Diego CA
1 post
Save Topic
Milan Accomodation close to Central Station

Hi

I have heard (from the forums here and elsewhere) that hotels close to the central train station in Milan are not in a good neighborhood (drug pedlars, drunk etc) and is unsafe to walk around in the night. Can some one recommend something close enough to the train station (we will have a 21 month old when we travel and luggage) and at the same time situated in a decent neighborhood? We dont really care about staying close to anything else since Milan is just a one night stopover for us.

Thanks for any recommendation!

Murali

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
698 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milan Accomodation close to Central Station

I don't know if that fits your budget but The Principe Di Savoia,located in the Piazza Republicca, is a 10min walk or a metro stop away from the Central Station(actually, you can see a part of the station from the piazza republicca). The neighbourhood is safe, not very handsome though, and you are 15minutes on foot from the Duomo. There is also a complimentary limo service running from 9am to 5pm.The rooms are spacious, the service efficient and the dining very good.Rates start from 400euros.

Check it out at www.hotelprincipedisavoia.com

or www.lhw.com

Another hotel suggestion in the station area is the Meridien Excelsior hotel Gallia which is just outside the station(that means that you have not to walk much in the nighbourhood as the metro stop is just outside.They have promotions at 189euros, that's a good rate for a 5star in Milan.

Concerning the nighbourhood it's not so seedy and unsafe unless you like walking when it's dark.

PS.If you have many luggage it's better to take a cab from the station. It'll cost you about 10euros or less!!!

NY
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Milan Accomodation close to Central Station

I was in Milan for a one-night layover on July 8 and didn't think the neighborhood was terribly seedy. It certainly wasn't posh, but many travellers stay there and I never felt threatened. I stayed at the 3-star Hotel Garda (double room 65 Euros). Across the street, there was a 4-star Best Western and several other normal-looking hotels on the same street. (I'd say go for 4-stars; Garda was OK but nothing great.) The location was excellent. If you have rolling lugage, you won't even need a cab. It's 500m from the station but you won't feel like you're living right on top of it. It wasn't noisy, either. The street was called Via Napo Torriani.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milan Accomodation close to Central Station

I stay quite a few times a year in Milan & have often stayed at hotels near the station without any problem. (I am female & am usually on my own for business) The Michaelangelo, Starhotel Splendid & the Starhotel Anderson are all very good & all have restaurants if you don't want to venture out in the evening, if you're going this summer you'll get very good rates on the internet.

Italy
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Milan Accomodation close to Central Station

Hi,

I live in Milano and maybe have some useful info.

the hotels close to the central station are ok but the neighborhood is really terrible. I would not reccomend it, as this is one of the worst place in Milano...

This is not as dangerous as NY City or LA...of course...You just stay in Milano for a stop over, but you can find something more carachteristic and in a nice neighborhood, I think.

I would not reccomend Principe di Savoia, as many drug pedlars live here...

For mid-budget (4 stars) try Westin palace in Piazza della Repubblica or Excelsior Gallia. It is also on the way to Malpensa airport.

For 5 stars, Bulgari Hotel, Four Seasons, Park Hyatt, Grand Hotel et de Milan.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
140 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milan Accomodation close to Central Station

Also note that if you use Malpensa Express train, it does not stop at the main railway station - it runs between the airport and Cadorna Station. (You can easily travel between Cadorna and main railway station by subway though).

Italy
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Milan Accomodation close to Central Station

At Malpensa you can take train to Cadorna station or bus to central station. 1 hour trip

manchester, uk
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Milan Accomodation close to Central Station

The Hotel Cristallo is ideal for simple, clean and cheap accommodation next to the Train Station in Milan, don't expect the staff to roll out the red carpet though, however the price is very good.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
698 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Milan Accomodation close to Central Station

Angy73 stated:

''I would not reccomend Principe di Savoia, as many drug pedlars live here...''

No offense, but i think that is an enormous accusation for any 5star hotel.I ve stayed at the Principe with my son and it was perfectly safe.We cannot give such comments like that on a Leading Hotel with a 5Diamond Award(the only in Milan), a member of the Dorchester Group and a Grand Hotel with such a long history.The Hotel caters mostly businessmen, diplomats, celebrities and fashion models, and an mid-upper class clientele, so it's PERFECTLY safe for everybody.And i dont know how you realized that they live drug pedlars there.Yes there are other 5star hotels in Milan in a better location, but they do not have the grandeur the Principe has.

Thanks for reading this reply, even if it's off topic.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Milan Accomodation close to Central Station

angy, I think you're a bit confused as greece4ever pointed out the Principe de Savoia is a beautiful 5 star hotel & there's certainly no drug peddlars living there. also the Excelsior Gallia is situated right outside the Central train station & isn't on the way to Malpensa airport.

Getting back to muralig's post. You have to remember that the Central station is one of the busiest in Europe so we're not talking about a deserted train station filled with drug peddlars & criminals it's always filled with tourists, maybe that's why I've always felt very comfortable around the area, even late at night. However if it makes you feel easier, take a taxi to the Dome area & stay there. The taxi's are very cheap.

When exactly are you planning on coming to Milan?

NDA
Milano
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Milan Accomodation close to Central Station

Murali, you will be safe in this area. I practically live right next door to the Principe de Savoia and the Westin and have never encountered any drug dealers or felt unsafe. As in every city, be aware and stay alert and you will be fine.