We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help please on train from Milan to Naples

Champaign IL
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
help please on train from Milan to Naples

We are thinking of taking a train on July 26 from Milan to Naples but I've only found tickets, for two adults and one child, for 185 euro total. This seems very high. Does anyone know of a less expensive way to get train tickets? I am hesitant to take a flight because of the issue and cost of getting from the Naples airport to our ultimate destination, Sorrento. We could fly into Rome and take the bus from there to Sorrento, I guess. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Paula

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help please on train from Milan to Naples

That's about right for three people. It's a rather long trip is why. If I were I'd think about paying extra to fly just to avoid wasting the better part of a day on a train.

If you can buy your tickets at least a day in advance you can take advantage of the Amica fare. 2nd-class tickets on a regular Eurostar train will cost you 54 euros each (I just checked at Trenitalia).

By the way, there is a cheap express bus you can take from the Naples airport to Sorrento.

Good luck.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,982 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help please on train from Milan to Naples

That is the standard 2nd class fare for high speed trains ('AV') from Milan to Naples (73.20 for adults, half price for a child up to 12 y.o.). You could save a little on Inter City trains (IC/ICplus) although there aren't many of them left. One way or the other, book ahead or you may have to re-schedule your trip -- July 26 is a Sat. in peak season, just about the whole world is planning to take one of those trains!

Alternatively, there are low-cost flights to Naples from Milan (MXP) on EasyJet and Bergamo (BGY) on MyAir, but as happens with those flights, prices soar if you try to book just a few days before.

3. Re: help please on train from Milan to Naples

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, October 02, 2009