We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Age limit for Children to purchase train ticket

lxu
Finland
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Age limit for Children to purchase train ticket

Hi,

What is the age limit that child needs to purchase a train ticket in Italian domestic train and international train to France.

My child will be less than 3 when we are going to travel from Venice to Milan. Then Milan to Nice.

I am wondering whether I need to purchase the children ticket for him.

In some EU country, children under 4 can travel for free in all public transport.

How about in Italy? Train and buses?

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,268 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Age limit for Children to purchase train ticket

On all trains in Italy children from 2 to 12 pay half an adult fare (regardless of type of train/fare).

As for local transport, that varies. In many cities on city buses/trams etc. children under 1 meter tall ride for free. In Milan things are different: http://www.atm-mi.it/ATM/Sala+stampa/Comunicati+stampa/Comunicati/2007/22_03_07_bambini.htm (scroll down for the English text).

lxu
Finland
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Age limit for Children to purchase train ticket

Thanks for the information.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Age limit for Children to purchase train ticket

Quote from Trenitalia website:

"REDUCTIONS FOR THE CHILDREN

children younger than 4 travel free of charge in both first and second class but they do not have the right to a seat."

trenitalia.com/en/…viaggio14.html

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,268 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Age limit for Children to purchase train ticket

I stand corrected. Children from 4 to 12 indeed pay half fare on trains. Under 4 they travel for free.

5. Re: Age limit for Children to purchase train ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 am, September 27, 2009