We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milan Orio bergamo airport

Which Milan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
6 posts
Save Topic
Milan Orio bergamo airport

HI, I will be flying into Orio airport and then travelling to Desenzano , lake Garda in August. There will 6 adults and one child and I'm wondering whats the best way to travel. Are there big taxis that would take all of us because we are willing to pay a reasonable amount (eg 100-120 Euro)

Thanks for your help

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Milan Orio bergamo airport

Ciao,

there are mini-van type taxis, you should manage to squeeze all 6 of you in plus the toddler. No idea about the fare. If you ask in advance the driver should be able to give an approximate one.

Alternatively, if you land at a decent time, you can reach desenzano by train.

From the airport you need to get to Bergamo train station:

www.atb.bergamo.it/homepage.asp?IDCategoria=1 (Italian)

BERGAMO

Time table

Bus stop: Malpensata

from Monday to Friday: 38 daily trips from 07:04 to 22:12

Saturday: 31 daily trips from 07:05 to 22:12

Sundays and Public Holidays: 13 daily trips from 07:54 to 22:12

Fares

adult fare: ��� 1,50

Company providing the service

ATB

info phone +39 035 236026

and from there get a train to Desenzano:

www.trenitalia.com

Also, to order a taxi if one is not available: +39 035 4519090

Inside the airport there are car rentals companies that should be able to organize a minivan with driver too.

All the info above taken from:

http://www.sacbo.it/ (English version available)

Ireland
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Milan Orio bergamo airport

cheers mate that will help a lot....looking forward to it already

Watford
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milan Orio bergamo airport

You are lucky, we loved Desenzano, particularly because it isn't as touristy as other parts of the lake. The weekly market is brilliant (well it was for me!) and it's perfectly positioned for going to so many places (15 mins on the train to Verona - wonderful city) and only 2 hours to Venice! I shouldn't really feel too jealous cos we'll be in Milan/Bergamo this weekend (hubby seeing gig - me along for ride) and our hol in September is the Italian Riviera (just along from Genoa). I hope you have a fantastic hoiliday, I'm sure you'll love it and your toddler will be treated like royalty, Italy is certainly somewhere we plan to holiday regularly when we have sproglets!

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milan Orio bergamo airport

Hi Paulo55555! Milano 76 has helped you with some very detailed info. I hope that you have a fantastic time in Desenzano. May I ask Milano76 if he can help me with advice re transportation from Verona to Peschiera after the Opera? The Opera does not start until 9.30pm and as far as I could see on the timetables there are no trains late at night back to Garda. May I ask your advice as to whether we will need to rely on a taxi to get us back to Peschiera and if so should this be booked in advance?

To Schazz - hi! I was born in Watford ...... many years ago! Hope you enjoyed your recent visit to Milan. I will def check out the market in Desenzano which you speak of. Have been to Garda but stayed the other end ...... Riva.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milan Orio bergamo airport

Hi, Maria Amato - what happened to 'thatsamore' ? You've reverted to your previous name ?

Anyway - just to say - we did the opera in Verona over a weekend trip, and decided it was too far to go at night back to the Desenzano area. So we found an hotel in Verona instead. Well - it was on the outskirts, in suburbia... a direct bus ride - as all the central hotels were fully booked (because of the opera season !) but after the opera, we got a taxi to the hotel and it went fine. It was pleasant to ride out into 'real Italy' again, instead of the tourist part. Could you not stay in Verona overnight ? Regards, Nolana

Tadworth, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Milan Orio bergamo airport

Nolana -hi! How are you! How is life in Bath? Thank you for taking time to help out with my question. I am travelling to Verona from Peschiera w/my daughter only (husband and son have no desire to go to the Opera!) Really, I would prefer to return to Peschiera if we can though of course it would be nice to stay in Verona. All options will be considered. My husband may have to drive in to Verona to meet us though I was hoping to avoid this. Re user name, could not change this unless I sign in under another email address which I keep omitting to do! I am hoping this will show as "thats amore"! Which opera did you see? We are there for Aida ..... on the concrete steps!

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Milan Orio bergamo airport

Ciao again thatsamore !

Yes - we saw Aida too.... on the concrete steps ! Have you been there before ? If you have, forgive me for giving you too much information ..... but just in case - as I may not be able to reply again for a few days..... I'm giving you our experience of it all here !

When you get there on the evening - you have to find the 'entrance' for your tickets, so go early and you may have to walk right round the arena to find it ! Then everyone - but everyone - has to queue up and there's some queue jumping etc. but you'll all get in. As you go in and up the many steps (no lifts/ elevators of course !) there'll be people distributing candles to hold - don't miss this. Pick up a candle each - I think they were free - I was so taken with it all I can't remember!!!

You can also hire cushions, they distribute them as you go up the steps (or bring your own) but the cushions they hire out are fine. It's not a good idea to do without one ! I was wary, because there had been a thunderstorm the night before and they had to stop the show halfway through. I was expecting the cushions to be damp- but they weren't - they were fine. You will have to allow for people on the step in front practically sitting on your feet if they have big bottoms ! Try to sit with a foot either side of them or you may get cramp !!

They have ushers who come along and encourage people to sit up closer together towards the time just before they start - as the place fills up. Bring drinking water and refreshments with you - it is allowed, and there are people who come round selling them - before it starts, so you may as well bring your own.

You may find binoculars/opera glasses a good idea as you are quite a way from the stage if up on the 'gradini' (steps). We got there early and it was fun watching the 'vip' people (who may have been quite ordinary !) all dressed up in their finery, coming into the 'floor' of the arena - the expensive seats, and getting into their 'poltrone' which were just chairs - not armchairs. That's where the wheelchair bound were allowed to sit too. They don't seem to sell the seats at the sides of the stage where you wouldn't be able to see so well anyway. The 'seats' are sold in 'wedges of steps' so you don't have a particular 'space' booked. Just the 'entrance' for your ticket. But you do have to be prepared to walk up all those steps ! And depending on how late you arrive in the queue you may end up right at the very top ! If it gets too hair-raising for you to go to the top, have a word with the ushers - they'll encourage the others lower down to 'shove-up' !

The people on the 'gradini' seemed to be mainly tourists and most, particularly the Americans, were in minimal, sporty clothing (as usual). Do they dress like this all the time at home too ? I would find it quite off putting to have some man's hairy, naked legs either side of me, they really should be more thoughtful about what they wear, especially if they've been walking around all day and are a bit sweaty. Luckily, I had some Italians behind me and they wore casual trousers. The Italians were in smart casuals (even the younger ones, in cashmere sweaters and nicely ironed (!) blue jeans ). I think I was definitely overdressed (navy blue linen trouser suit with matching navy sequinned top and a plain silk shawl) - I should have been down in the 'poltrone' with the pseudo vips ! But it didn't matter, I was not too hot and I was well covered so I didn't get eaten by the mosquitoes (my usual problem in Italy). It did feel a bit as if we were Roman plebs waiting for the Christians and animals to come out ! Just before it starts, as it gets dark, the artificial lights go out in the body of the arena - and everyone is encouraged to light their 'candle' - the effect is just magical !!!

The loudspeaker announcements in several languages ask everyone to refrain from taking flash photographs during the performance - but of course, there's always the odd rogue who pretends s/he didn't understand. Many people I have spoken to have commented on the acoustics - some say they are not as good as they expected. But I found it was only the singers with the weaker voices that couldn't be heard as well - the others were fine. It is something worth going to see - we saw Aida and it was enchanting. Hope you enjoy it too. Nolana

Tadworth, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Milan Orio bergamo airport

Nolana - hi! What can I say? I cannot thank you enough for this extremely helpful advice. It is VERY MUCH appreciated. We are so looking forward to this outing, dressing appropriately! Grazie mille e ciao :-)

st lucia
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Milan Orio bergamo airport

Nolana just like to set you straight on one point------pseudo vips comment. I often go to the Arena and sit in the poltrone as you say for one reason to escape hairy American bare legs and also to avoid slurping English and other tourists who take their own carryouts in to avoid splashing out for a cool drink in the Arena itself.

I don't consider myself a pseudo vip because I sit in the poltrona dressed pretty much like yourself but carrying a Chanel bag. I simply know how to dress for various situations.

I make the joke about the Americans and their dress because you picked up on it but I must also say that strolling round most Italian cities I see and cringe at the dress code of Brits too who waltz around nice shops and exclusive boutiques in shorts ,skimpy tops and flip flops.UGH.

Oh by the way I go to the opera as a trained musician not as a suedo Vip.Many other poltone users are Italians who are used to dressing up for normal day to day activities so going to the opera and spending a bit more for a ticket and space doesn't mean that they are pseudo.

I suppose if one takes a drink in from outside then the poltronas are not for them.

Nothing nicer than a cool glass of Berlucchi at the interval presented in a lovely glass which you can also take home if you wish but then that would be being pseudo vip I suppose.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Milan Orio bergamo airport

Hello suzywong - oh my - I am sorry you have taken offence at my comments about the people sitting in the more expensive 'poltrone' at the Arena in Verona for the opera.

This is the problem with writing in this medium, it is difficult for the reader, sometimes, to realise when people replying are writing 'tongue in cheek' or trying to be lighthearted ;-)

I used the term 'pseudo vip' after I had mentioned that those sitting in the 'poltrone' may have been 'ordinary people' and not necessarily 'very important persons' because I do realise that it is ordinary people, not just the rich and famous who occupy the 'poltrone'. I was not 'judging' the people who sit there, and I was poking fun at myself for being over dressed for the 'gradini' ! And of course, not all Americans and Brits behave or dress inappropriately abroad - the men with sweaty, hairy legs can be any nationality.

As you say, it appears appropriate to wear casual dress on the 'gradini' and to dress up for the 'poltrone'.

While I was there, I did wonder if the acoustics are better down in the bottom of the arena than they are at the level of the 'gradini' - if that is the case it would be another reason to choose those seats, and, of course , avoid messing up the seat of one's more elegant outfits ! ;-)

I hope your feathers are no longer ruffled, and wish you many wonderful evenings at the Arena. Regards, Nolana.