We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

See both Pisa and Bernina Express to St Moritz?

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
89 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
See both Pisa and Bernina Express to St Moritz?

Hello,

I have also posted this in the Pisa forum.

I am trying to determine if seeing both Pisa and taking the Bernina Express from Tirano to St Moritz is doable in the (short) time we have. We have kids, so I think they might like to see the Leaning Tower. We also may be traveling with an elderly relative, so I do not think some of the 23 minute connections I see in Florence will work (or would they?).(this is the connection when going between Milan-Florence-Pisa).

The fixed part of the schedule I have is we will be leaving Venice on a Thursday and then will need get to Nice, France, area preferably by late afternoon on Sunday. Some of us would like to be able to hike to the Morteratsch glacier while we are there in Switzerland.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Or should we just skip Pisa and do something else?

Thank you.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: See both Pisa and Bernina Express to St Moritz?

You have a lot of train traveling within 3 days, and I think you are trying to fit way too much in. At minimum, you'll have 7-8 hrs travel Venice to St. Mortiz, then 10-12 hrs travel to Nice. You could fly from Zurich to Nice to save some time.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,390 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: See both Pisa and Bernina Express to St Moritz?

I agree that you are trying to do too much. If i understand it correctly, you have Friday and Saturday as the other two days will be travelling days. As such, I'd leave out Switzerland and visit Florence and Pisa.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
89 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: See both Pisa and Bernina Express to St Moritz?

Thank you for your replies. I thought that might be the case, but thought there might be some other way to do it that I wasn't finding. Well, it will give us a reason to visit Europe again someday.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,717 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: See both Pisa and Bernina Express to St Moritz?

23 minute connections at Florence when going Milan-Florence-Pisa are fine. Because if you miss your train from Florence to Pisa, which is in any case fairly unlikely, you are allowed to take any of the frequent trains between Florence and Pisa which depart within the four hours after your booked train time. That is because those particular trains are Regional trains without reserved seats, and tickets for those trains have difference rules from the fast trains for which tickets include a seat reservation.

If going from Venice (Venezia S. Lucia station) to Pisa you do not go through Milan, as there are hourly trains direct from Venice to Florence (Firenze S.M. Novella station). See http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en for that, and for the six hour connections from Pisa Centrale to Nice-Ville (which have a sometimes lengthy connection time at Genova Piazza Principe station.

Edited: 6:49 pm, April 03, 2017
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,717 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: See both Pisa and Bernina Express to St Moritz?

edit 2 - <different rules> not <difference rules>

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
89 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: See both Pisa and Bernina Express to St Moritz?

Thank you for the helpful information. We will have to decide between visiting Pisa or taking the Bernina Express, as it sounds like the number of days we have is not enough to do both. But it is good to know about the connections, because there will be several other trains we will be taking in Italy while there. Thank you!

7. Re: See both Pisa and Bernina Express to St Moritz?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 05, 2018