We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milan to Stresa by train

Which Stresa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, UK
1 post
Save Topic
Milan to Stresa by train

Hi. We're flying into Milan Linate airport on the 17th August, flight is due to arrive at 18.00 hours. Can anyone advise us of the best way to reach Stresa by train? We've noticed that trains go from 2 stations, but have no idea which would be best or how to get to either station (by underground?).

Also, do we need to book train tickets in advance, and if so, how do we do that?

Any help appreciated!!!!

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,502 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milan to Stresa by train

Linate airport is about 8 kilometres east of Milan centre. Buses run from Linate to the city centre.

Check on www.trenitalia.it for train times - it will also tell you which station in Milan the train for Stresa departs from and if you have to change trains anywhere.

Milan has rather more than 2 stations, but like London!! Take your pick from Stazione Centrale ( the main one); Stazione di Porta Vittoria; Statzione Porta Genova; Statzione Nord; Statzione Garibaldi - I may have forgotten one or two!!

Sensible to book in advance for long journeys where you do not wish to take the chance of finding the train full and having to stand. You can book in advance on www.trenitalia.it up to about 6 weeks before you wish to travel.

Bay City, MI
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Milan to Stresa by train

Hi there,

My husband and I took the ES train from Florence to Milan central station and then the EC train from Milan central station to Stresa.

One word of advice when reaching Stresa by Train. The train will only stop one minute at the train station in Stresa and all the little towns. Be prepared with all you luggage to get off the train within the one minute. Do not make the same mistake that My husband and I did. We had to wait and get off the train the next town. My husband was so furious about it then he found out that the train makes a one minute stop only. We had to take a Taxi for 25 Euros from the next town to go back to Stresa to pick up the rental car.

In all, you will love and enjoy Stresa and make sure to visit the islands. Drive a car on those winding roads and up the hill to Mount Motorone. About 4500 ft above sea level, it is a breathtaking view.

Deco