We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days in the Italian Lake Region

Which Baveno hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
670 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
3 Days in the Italian Lake Region

We are planning our trip to Europe for next September. We will start in Zurich and spend 3 nights in Murren. From there we are planning to take the train to the Italian Lake district. Because we have only 3 days (nights) to spend there we'd like to make sure we spend that time wisely. We love Italy, and so I'm sure we will enjoy wherever we go. But we would like to avoid the real tourist traps, and stay somewhere with beautiful scenery, which is convenient to trains. Hopefully on a lake. I am getting the feeling from what I've read that Lake Maggiore may be the most preferable Lake for us. Does anyone have any suggestions on a hotel (mid-range) that is clean, comfortable, and friendly! What is a "must see" in this part of Italy?

Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

Lexie

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
272 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Days in the Italian Lake Region

Lexie !! I have been to lake Maggiore but I think the Lake Como scenery is spectacular, and the ferry gets you all over. Villa Carlotta and Bellagio are gems. Lugano is also very special. Zurich is close to Lucerne, maybe you have been there. A car would make it easy to get around should you choose. You have a great trip coming up !!!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,984 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Days in the Italian Lake Region

Lake Como (specifically Bellagio) is strikingly beautiful, but very, very touristy, and Bellagio doesn't have a train station.

The scenery is also beautiful on Lake Maggiore, and although Stresa has a train station, it is quite touristy, and possibly best avoided if you prefer less touristy areas, BUT Stresa is also so convenient for visiting the Borromean Islands and taking the funivia to Monte Mottarone. Not too many towns on the lake have train stations – consider Baveno or Verbania.

You can easily ferry from town to town.

www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng/mag/nlm.html

Lake Maggiore:

www.frommers.com/destinations/lakemaggiore/

You might also enjoy the Lake Maggiore Express:

www.centovalli.ch/offertalagoexprese.htm

best Wishes!

Vagabonda

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,141 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Days in the Italian Lake Region

Personally I think Lake Como the favorite for scenery, condider Varenna a beautiful small village, close to Bellagio, on the Lake , but has the asset of a Railway Station,

Abruzzo
Level Contributor
103 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Days in the Italian Lake Region

We have toured the area extensively & Como is spectacular.. but depending upon the time of year stay in Brunate - which is above Como & connected by a funicular into Como itself. There is a particularly good hotel there with good views of the Lake below - as its name suggests! Vista del Lago

brisbane
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Days in the Italian Lake Region

Hi Lexie!

I was in Baveno for 2 days on a tour last year & recently returned for 5 weeks. Lake Maggiore is a beautiful part of the world, whether you are there for a few days or longer to really get the feel of the place.

I would recommend staying in Baveno (if you like a quieter pace) or Stresa (if you want more shops & a greater choice of restaurants).

Whichever town you choose gives you access to excellent ferry services around the Lake. The Islands are all lovely & it's possible to get a 3 day Holiday Pass which gives you unlimited travel around the lake, right up to Switzerland (Locarno or Ascona or Brissago) & down to Arona.

There are market days all around the lake, depending on when you are there - Cannobio was great!

The trains from Switzerland arrive regularly, less frequently in Baveno than Stresa, however.

There are less tourists towards the end of September, but in October there are many less options available as the season winds down.

Have a great trip!

Anne

6. Re: 3 Days in the Italian Lake Region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:23 am, October 13, 2009