We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public transport from Lake Maggiore to Lake Como

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
480 posts
257 reviews
Save Topic
public transport from Lake Maggiore to Lake Como

Hello,

I have been researching current information on several forums for the above topic, but cannot find anything up to date.

My research shows Stresa by train to Milano Centrale and then change to Como S. Giovanni.

It seems that the entire journey should take no more than 2 hours. It also appears that I cannot book tickets before 4 months of the travel date.

Is there an easier journey? Say by coach? We will have 2 pieces of luggage and a day pack.

Thanking you, Chris

Next May, after staying 5 nights in Stresa, we are moving on to Bellagio for another 5 nights.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,190 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: public transport from Lake Maggiore to Lake Como

There is no convenient bus route.

To Como S. Giovanni via Milano Centrale, you cannot book more than four months ahead. To Como S Giovanni via Milano Porta Garibaldi, which is cheaper and also faster at some times of day, you cannot buy tickets online more than one week in advance and there is anyway no point in buying online as there are no advance reductions and no reserved seats.

For Bellagio, it is usually better to go to Varenna-Esino station then take a short ride on a frequent ferry, rather than go to Como S Giovanni and then take the bus (or a trip down to the lakeside then a long ferry ride). But you have to be able to carry your luggage down the hill from Varenna train station to the ferry.

Edited: 7:39 am, November 19, 2013
Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
480 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: public transport from Lake Maggiore to Lake Como

Thank you - that was a great help! I put in dummy dates on Trenitalia just to see that I was reading it correctly.

3. Re: public transport from Lake Maggiore to Lake Como

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 21, 2014